Official Review: The Mousetrap Incident

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cody Mathews
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cody-mathews.html
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Official Review: The Mousetrap Incident

Post by Cody Mathews »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mousetrap Incident" by Thomas S. Maple, Ph.D..]
Book Cover for 2940015597066
Share This Review

“The Mousetrap Incident” by Thomas Maple is a hilariously funny fictional book consisting of a short jokes and stand-up comedy all mixed together. It comes across as a stand-up routine with each chapter being a different joke or funny occurrence in life. I found myself unable to put it down and was at times laughing to myself on public transportation as I was reading it. Hilarious and a must read for anyone.

The short stories vary in length with the average being about 2 pages in length. The topics range from “Clown College Confidential” to “If young boys had been allowed to name the planets in the solar system.” I would recommend the book for someone interested in laughing and not worrying about plots, themes or character development. The stories quickly bring the reader into a late night bar feeling where you are watching a stand-up comic deliver his routine on random topics, but all very funny.

If I had to improve one thing, it would be in the arrangement of some of the stories. There were several short stories that begin with “Occupational Hazards” and then each one talks about a funny instance if you were a zookeeper, pre-historic hunter, etc. It would have been nice to have all the similar stories together instead of spread apart throughout the book. For instance, the follow up to the “If young boys were able to name the planets” was the next chapter “If young girls were able to name the planets” so I did see some pairing of jokes, but it could have been better on other topics like the occupational hazards joke series.

If you want to read a set of short stories that will make you laugh to yourself, than I would recommend this book. I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is worth reading for both fiction and non-fiction readers. It has the feeling of being of watching a stand-up routine without having to be in the audience.

I would recommend that the book be expanded to be a sequel and more of these types of books be written. The short story format, with each chapter being a different joke, was a great idea and I hope the author continues to trap us again in another “Mousetrap Incident.”

Buy "The Mousetrap Incident" on Amazon
Buy "The Mousetrap Incident" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”