Official Review: Taking Tia by Melissa Rudy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cshelton
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshelton.html
Latest Review: "Destiny Maybe" by Hanzel L. Calangan

Official Review: Taking Tia by Melissa Rudy

Post by Cshelton »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taking Tia" by Melissa Rudy.]

This book tells the story of a 32 year old woman’s frantic search for her infant daughter who was stolen from her just hours after she is born. Dani Foster is a psychiatrist whose current focus in life was to build her psychiatric practice and establish herself in a way that would enable her to be known for her own merits rather than the success of her family. Unfortunately, her career goals do not align with her husband Eric’s familial goals as the two recently married couple have different views on when is the right time to have a baby. All of this discussion is negated when Dani becomes pregnant and forced to face the very real reality of her impending motherhood. Readers witness the story of a mother, who never wanted children in the first place, go through unspeakable pain of losing her child and her determined search to get her back. Dani’s journey is fraught with betrayal, deception, and several unlikely twists that will leave you guessing.

I must say that I really did enjoy reading this book. I thought it was very well written and that the author did an awesome job in developing her characters in a way that made them seem real. The author was able to adequately describe the situation in which the characters found themselves in and the emotions that were invoked as a result. It was for this reason, as well as the unpredictability of the storyline that kept me hooked even though I didn’t care too much for the actual storyline.

One constructive criticism that I would make regarding this book is how other characters’ points of view are conveyed throughout the book. I think it’s a strength that the author was able to write the story as it occurred through each of her core character’s point of view. However, I noticed that when the story was not being told by Dani, it still seemed like the story was being narrated by Dani, as opposed to the person whose point of view it actually was. It makes it seem like the author originally wrote the book from Dani’s point of view, then read through it and decided instead to make certain parts of the book from one of her core supporting character’s point of view. Only when the author did this, she didn’t revise the language to match the character who was currently telling the story.

I rate this book 3 our of 4 stars. I would rate this book as a 3.5 if I could give that rating. The book was very well written and it kept the reader engaged. I usually like to read romance novels with happy endings and witty dialogues that are often found to be very humorous. While this story was not lacking in its creative dialogue, I didn’t think it had much of a happy ending or that it could be described as humorous. If anything it made me feel like I was on an emotional roller coaster. I am at work, supposed to be working and there I was afraid to put my phone down because I was afraid of what I would read in the next sentence or on the next page.

Would I recommend this book… Of course!!! As I mentioned before, the storyline was not my usual cup of tea, but it was very well written. It kept readers engaged by keeping them guessing. The author did her job well. She created a viable product that could be enjoyed by and talked about by the masses of people who will one day read it. All in all “Good Job!”

Buy "Taking Tia" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Destiny Maybe" by Hanzel L. Calangan

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”