Official Review: Neverending Nightmare by Nick Federico

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Official Review: Neverending Nightmare by Nick Federico

Post by saturday+deviant »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Neverending Nightmare" by Nick Federico.]
Book Cover for 2940044643338
Share This Review

Neverending Nightmare is a compilation of 80 poems ranging in length from 3 lines to about a page. These poems are almost all about negative aspects of life: death, suicide, poverty, and war are a few recurring themes. Of course, poetry about these topics has been written and done well at that, but in this case I had trouble seeing beyond the level of writing and the almost cliché stance of each of the poems.

There is also a vague sense of recurring characters throughout the poems as well. The link is weak and is only truly stated within the last poem. This was something that I wish had been made more clear so I could reflect on how the characters were being developed, but that wasn’t the case.

I had a lot of trouble finding aspects of the poems to like. The topics were almost all negative so I could not fell a connection to the poems which I believe is what would have made the poems better. That being said there was at least one poem that I did like and what a coincidence that it was also one of the only that was positive. The poem titled, “Happy” was positive and that is pretty much the only reason that I liked it. Even then I was upset that it was only 3 lines.

Unlike the problem I had with finding positives for the book, there were quite a few aspects to the poems that turned me off. The first one that I encountered was the use of “thee” and “thy” in the poems. Their occurrence is sporadic, but their use was out of place with the colloquial dialogue that was prevalent in the rest of the poems. It just didn’t make any sense. Why use “thee” and “thy” instead of “you” or “your“?

The second issue that needs to be addressed is the spelling mistakes and issues with word choice that were sprinkled throughout the poems. In any other situation I would assume that this is just a reviewer nitpicking, trying to find fault in the authors work. Here, however, the problem is one that affects the presentation of the poetry itself and how it is received by the reader. In one example instead of writing “vain” Federico wrote “vein”. This could have been a play on the words, but based on the poem and the book in general I think that it was a typo. Yet, because of this typo I kept thinking about vampires throughout the poem rather than what the author was trying to get across.

My most specific problem about the book was with a poem about texting. Rather than utilizing specific features that began with texting like emoticons or short phrases/words like lol and kk, the author talked about going to a doctor and looking up what his ailment could mean. This had nothing to do with texting but rather, it was the mindset of a technologically advanced hypochondriac. The ideas that are presented in the poems are really cool, but I think that the execution just didn’t meet that level of brilliance.

Overall, the book was a letdown. The thoughts were there in the type of poetry that Federico was trying to write, but his execution fell flat. And because of that I would give this book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Neverending Nightmare" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”