Official Review: Summer by Michelle Zoetemeyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
faceman3535
Favorite Author: Jack McKinney
Favorite Book: Robotech Genesis
Currently Reading: The Hunt For Red October
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceman3535.html
Latest Review: "Summer" by Michelle Zoetemeyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Summer by Michelle Zoetemeyer

Post by faceman3535 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Summer" by Michelle Zoetemeyer.]
Book Cover for 2940045260978
Share This Review

I read the e-book Summer by Michelle Zoetemeyer which I give three stars to this novel that should have been two separate books then just the one the author wrote. Michelle Zoetemeyer takes on a challenge that I find many authors have trouble with and that is writing about two different main set of characters and having their life's be inter linked within the story.

The first set of characters that we the reader are introduced to are Maggie and Peter who live in Australia in the year of 1965. The second of characters are Jenny and Tom who also live in Australia in the year of 1975. Two completely different characters separated by their age, where they live and who their family are. By all rights neither set of characters should be in the same book or even hinted that there is a connection to them. Which there is, a small one that one can easily miss when the end of the book is reached.

Maggie, who was never married, and Peter, who was married and has two children. Are teachers who are looking toward their summer vacation which is in December in Australia. Peter works with college kids looks forward to his last week at the university as he works. The school year went well and Peter is looking forward to the time off to spend with his wife and two children. Maggie who works with grade school kids, also looks forward to the time off to catch up on things that need to be done and spend time with her family.

Jenny and Tom who share their birthday and are turning eleven, look forward to their summer vacation also in December. A time to get out of school, play together and have their birthday parties together. For Jenny and Tom it is the best time of the year. Plans of fun and exploration are on these two kids minds as school lets out. With school out they do not need to worry about school work for a while. They only have to worry about having fun and dealing with ordinary kid problem. Kid problems like, getting their cubby set up, seeing family and having fun with their friends in their neighborhood.

As we read Summer by Michelle Zoetemeyer, the story rotates between the two set of main characters in each chapter. One chapter we read about the day's events for Maggie and Peter, the next chapter Jenny and Tom. Michelle Zoetemeyer also has two chapters back to back for either set of characters. We the reader is left scratching our heads and wondering why is the book set up like this.

With the way the story moves back in forth between the two sets of main characters, it makes it hard for the reader to understand what is happening. It is also hard for the reader to develop a connection with the characters. Though I can say that out of the two set of characters it is a connection with Jenny and Tom that I seem to have formed reading the book. I can relate to what these two characters go through in the story. I am left wondering is there more to their story? Which there is from the way Michelle Zoetemeyer finished the book.

It is due to the two different set of main characters, two story lines and the random shifting of the story that I give Summer by Michelle Zoetemeyer the three stars review. Even though I did not develop a connection with Maggie and Peter, I still am left unhappy with how their story developed.

I can only hope that Michelle Zoetemeyer decides to stick to one set of main characters in any future novels she might write. I also hope she continues the story of Jenny and Tom. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Summer" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Summer" by Michelle Zoetemeyer
zoetemeyer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zoetemeyer »

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and review my novel. As a first time author, I really appreciate the effort it takes to read and review someone else's work. I was aware when I wrote the novel that the manner in which the two stories are connected is something that not everyone will necessarily see (about 70 % of readers have picked it up but all via a different clues included throughout the story). Without spoiling the story for anyone who hasn't read it, I will say that the dates of both stories are significant and a good place to start, particularly the final entry for Maggie and Peter. If you would like for me to tell you the connections, I am happy to private message you... If that is even possible through this forum???). Either way, whilst the story is far more powerful knowing the way in which the characters are linked to one another, it was also my intention that the two stories were complete on their own. Thanks Again for your review. MZ

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”