Official Review: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
msdaniellerhudy
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdaniellerhudy.html
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti

Pretty Little Liars Series

Post by msdaniellerhudy »

Has anyone read the Pretty Little Liars Series? I've seen them advertised on my "recommendations" on Goodreads, but I can't decide if they are worth buying. Help someone!
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti
sharon_r
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sharon_r »

I don't know if I would personally buy the books. I have read them all but I borrowed them. They aren't too bad, I would say 2.5 or 3 stars. They are a quick read but you always seem to be left with more questions than what you started with.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Are they the same as the series? If they are, I didn't know it was based on a book!
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

The premise of the television series is the same as the books, but the similarities don't go far. The books are vastly different. Yes, they are a very quick read, which is nice when you know you're going to be very busy and don't have the time to get "too involved" in a book (or series). And yes, you are often left with more questions, but I think that's a given for any mystery series; you have to keep the readers involved and wanting more. I recommend them for light, easy reading.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
miannoco

Post by miannoco »

pathetic and without possibility of enrichment!
r123
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r123.html
Latest Review: "THE WOMAN" by Tommy Morgan

Post by r123 »

If I can see the series.. I won't bother to read it. Visualisation is easier for this series.. :)
Latest Review: "THE WOMAN" by Tommy Morgan
anymousbookworm

Post by anymousbookworm »

Having read and watched the series I would say that the books are not worth buying. This series doesn't make you feel the desperation of finding out what happens next as most series do. This series strikes me as a more casual read, not one you would stay home for instead of going to your sister's bachelorette party.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I've been watching the series on tv with my daughter and decided to get the books to read. We're finding the books a good read but they are different from the series. I would recommend these books to someone for a light read.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by mbeasley »

I would recommend reading them, but wouldn't suggest buying them. Check out your local library or see if any of your friends already own them :-) They're not a must have in your collection.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I'm admittedly a Pretty Little Liars fan. I love the Tv show and the books are pretty fun to read too.
Rachael_dd

Post by Rachael_dd »

I would recommend checking them out from your library, or if you could find them really cheap. They are good books, but i dont think they are worth keeping
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

Everyone makes mistakes - some mistakes are just bigger than others. Spencer, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Alison were best friends after seventh grade. They were popular to the extent of being untouchable by anything or anyone - until the night Alison disappeared. Nobody knew what had happened. Three years passed before Alison's body turned up and the remaining four of the posse discovered the truth: Alison had been murdered. Now Alison's gone for good - but Spencer, Aria, Emily and Hanna's nightmare is just beginning. The girls start to receive threats from an anonymous source going by 'A'. A knows about all of their secrets - Spencer's feeling for her sister's fiancé, Aria's relationship with her new English teacher, the fact that Emily likes girls as more than friends, and Hanna's kleptomania and dirty secret as to how she became thin so quickly. As A raises the stakes, the girls are put under pressure. Should they tell the truth about A? Or should they keep on being pretty little liars?

I read this book around the same time I started to watch the Pretty Little Liars TV series, which was based on this book. Half the time I couldn't remember what had happened in the show versus in the book, which is why I recommend no one else make this mistake. I found the changes made to the storyline in the show interesting, though. They made me consider why they'd been made. Sheer entertainment value? Having the same actors play their younger selves? Or so that when the show had covered all of the books' material, they could continue with their own storylines from then on? I'd say a combination of all of the above. I also found that the actresses playing the four main parts looked absolutely nothing like the book had described them, except perhaps for Aria, with her black hair. However, Hanna's hair was changed from brown to blonde, Spencer's from blonde to brown, and Emily's from red to black. If I hadn't read the book first and known which storyline was associated with which character, I wouldn't have been able to tell from appearances.

This book contained two things that I usually hate in an author's writing - third person and alternating between main characters - yet still managed to be the most entertaining book I've read thus far with those aspects. I would actually recommend this book to fellow readers because of how much I enjoyed it, which is something I don't usually do. The problem with books is that there are many good ones out there - but they're hidden under layers of bad ones that a reader must sort through before finding the true gems. I'm not saying this book changed my life. However, when reading, I didn't want to put it down! I haven't found a book like that in quite some time.

I really enjoyed the fact that Sara Shepard put so much effort into making this book seem like it really did come from a teenager's perspective. If their book is written from a teen's point of view, most authors put in small and random tidbits of text-talk (LOL, TTYL, C U L8R) that pretty much anyone could figure out. But this story had more obscure ones that weren't explained; the reader had to already know what they meant to understand the sentence. The characters were also very realistic; although their 'A' situation was a bit out there, their secrets were things that real teen girls face and deal with every day, all over the world. The circumstances were very relatable and understandable.

I sincerely enjoyed this book, a lot more than certain others I've read in the past. It was intriguing, secretive, and perfect for a relaxing yet exciting read. I would give it a rating of four stars. Above, I wrote I would actually recommend this book! Normally, my recommendations for readers don't actually mean I'm recommending the story; they just give out topics that a reader who enjoys certain genres could look for. However, when I recommend this book this time, I'm recommending it to every reader. It's a quick and enjoyable read for anyone looking for some romance, mystery, and good ol'-fashioned teenage drama!
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Not for me, but great review.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

I'm not really a fan of this, but I'm also not big on the whole teen drama thing. My cousin is all about Pretty Little Liars though, which is why I checked it out. So if it's your kind of thing, it's probably a good read.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
tinni

Post by tinni »

I follow the show Pretty Little liars and wanted to know up to what extent is it adapted from the book. So all i make out from this is that the characters on the show do not resemble their portraits 'written up' by Sara Sheperd.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”