Choose Yourself by James Altucher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshua
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua.html

Choose Yourself by James Altucher

Post by joshua »

The I-pod was not the first mp3 player. Google was not the first search engine. Facebook was not the first social network.

Originality is overrated.

Everyone is always on the lookout for the next big thing. It’s much simpler to pick an old thing and do it slightly better than everyone else.

This is advice comes from James Altucher’s new Book ‘Choose Yourself’ in which he outlines three simple ways to make a million dollars. Not a comprehensive step-by-step guide but a refreshingly simple take on a goal that most deem unachievable.

3 ways to make a million dollars:

Build a business service based on whatever the cutting edge of the internet is. Don’t just build Facebook pages for people, get your customers some fans, set people up on twitter, fuel conversations, get mentioned on blogs and look after their pages. Do what every other media agency does, but go the extra mile.
Start out by working for free. Then use your portfolio of free work to get the best clients you can. As soon as you start getting more work than you can handle start hiring people. All you need is a few hundred thousand dollars in revenues to sell the business for one million.

Every company is for sale. Every company has a price. It’s not just entrepreneurs that are selling either, there are entire businesses called ‘roll-ups” who’s only purpose is to buy other businesses. These companies buy different operations in a region, combine them together, fire all the back end staff and become a national business with great margins.
The point is that sometimes companies need help finding buyers. Lawyers supposedly help but they don’t. They add layer of complexity and remove layers of profit.

It’s hard to navigate the process of getting acquired. If you can find yourself somewhere in the middle, you will get paid. There are regulations around getting paid for this service but if you can negotiate them then there is an easy million dollars in there for you.

Write a book. If you don’t have anything worth writing about then partner up with some one who does and write their book for them. A book alone, especially if you’re a first time author, is unlikely to make you a million dollars but the speaking engagements, consulting offers, media opportunities, writing opportunities, and email list will certainly help get you there.
A salient point that Althucher continuously highlights in his book is that becoming richer is about more that just making money. Building a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual foundation is crucial to the process of manifesting wealth.

Althucher suggests eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep and going on walks for a functioning body. Reading everyday (at least skimming sections of four books in different topics) for a healthy brain and making it a daily habit to exhaust your brain for at least 10 original ideas everyday a supple idea muscle. Limiting the number of words you utter in a day (and focusing on what you say) and surrounding yourself with positive, inspiration people and friends for a functioning social life. One of the nicest nicest things I took away from the book is the idea that out of silence comes the greatest creativity. Never underestimate the power of a long, protracted silence.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Your review started out great i was hooked. However I feel I don't need to read the Book as you gave me the tips. Thank you for sharing though
joshua
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua.html

Post by joshua »

Don't let my review fool you, thats just a smidgen of what in the book. He talks about everything, from the stick markets to relationship and he really gets into the mentality of success. Definitely worth reading.

Thank you for the compliment. If you are interested in more reviews you can always check out my blog as

Edit: website link deleted

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”