Official Review: If Your Wife is so Good...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
erick01
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick01.html
Latest Review: "If Your Wife is so Good... Why are You in the Bed With Me?" by Alisha Coleman

Official Review: If Your Wife is so Good...

Post by erick01 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If Your Wife is so Good... Why are You in the Bed With Me?" by Alisha Coleman.]

Allison is a self proclaimed "clean-up woman". She becomes involved with men that already are involved in a relationship. Allison believes she can help these men and their significant other by having sex with them and teaching them how to be better in their current relationship. She writes about these exploits. This book is labeled a fictional drama but Allison is listed as the author. She leads you to believe that this is mostly a memoir with names and details changed to "protect the innocent". I give "If Your Wife is so Good....Why are You in Bed with Me The Confessions of a Clean-Up Woman" two out of four stars.

Each chapter of this book is about a different man. The title of the chapter is the man's name. Each chapter and each man is a very different situation which I initially found a very original and interesting concept. The author states in the introduction that "there is a lesson in each chapter". I saw this in some of the chapters but felt that structure lost its way a bit throughout the book. Toward the end of the book, there were less lessons regarding the affairs with the men and more drama in Allison's life. This made the structure that was established earlier seem very messy and confused.

One of the problems of the book is the "character" of Allison herself. She is a fairly unlikeable person. Allison perceives herself as selfless and a giver of advice and wisdom. She also talks of being a very religious person and very connected with God. No woman will read this book and like Allison. She comes off as a very self righteous person who is very full of herself. I think it would have helped the book if Allison would have been a little more self-deprecating and humble. She really needs to be more likeable. It wasn't about her actions with the men that bothered me. It was more about her personality which came of very negatively.

There was a potential to discuss a very important topic in this book which was sexual abuse and rape. There was vague talk about this throughout the book but it wasn't covered very thoroughly. The affects of the abuse Allison sustained was not discussed. This could have brought some depth to the book. I think this was a lost opportunity for the author.

I gave this book two stars for a variety of reasons. I liked the concept of the book. It was a very unique perspective on relationships. There were some lessons to be learned from a few of the chapters. The problem I found was the writing was pretty poor and the story needed more structure and development. I like a little depth in the text and this book did not have that. Also, the sex scenes were difficult to read without laughing. They were often cringe-worthy. Overall, I think the idea of the book has potential but definitely needs reworked.

Buy "If Your Wife is so Good... Why are You in the Bed With Me?" on Amazon
Latest Review: "If Your Wife is so Good... Why are You in the Bed With Me?" by Alisha Coleman
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Um... The title caught my eye, but it's definitely not a must-read.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”