Official Review: The Pool Theory by Alexa Nazzaro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jessmess
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessmess.html
Latest Review: "The Pool Theory" by Alexa Nazzaro

Official Review: The Pool Theory by Alexa Nazzaro

Post by jessmess »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pool Theory" by Alexa Nazzaro.]
Book Cover for 9780991816101
Share This Review

I found The Pool Theory to be a very fast, engaging, read. The subject matter was extremely serious, which made me very curious and invested in the outcome. I wanted to know what was going to happen.

The Pool Theory is about a 15-year-old boy named Kye who got a girl pregnant and the consequences this brings into his life. I thought it was an interesting perspective for this type of novel. Most books about teen pregnancies seem to be from the girl's perspective. So I found myself sympathizing with Kye a little. This responsibility is dropped on him just after he starts seeing a girl he really likes and so he winds up having to juggle complicated relationships with two girls he has an obligation to.

Overall, I enjoyed Alexa's writing style. I think she managed to capture the gravity of the situation and make it sound like a 15-year-old boy would sound. I do have to mention that I think the word friggin' was slightly overused. It seemed to be in every other sentence, which just made it less potent. There were moments that I really enjoyed though, such as, "I looked at people filing into their classrooms, the books under their arms being the biggest weight they had to carry. I never hated so many people at once.”

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think overall the story was portrayed in a way that was engaging. Every time I put the book down, I could not wait until I picked it back up again. I found myself genuinely caring about Kye- sympathizing with him when he was down and getting mad at him when I felt he was doing the wrong thing. I find this to be the mark of a good book- when I feel like I know the characters. I felt that with Kye.

Without spoiling anything, I want to say that I think the ending was smart. It leaves you hanging a little, but that just leaves you free to draw your own conclusions. I think the ending gave the book that extra twist that it needed. All in all, I truly enjoyed this book and would be interested in any future books Alexa Nazzaro writes.

Buy "The Pool Theory" on Amazon
Buy "The Pool Theory" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "The Pool Theory" by Alexa Nazzaro

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”