Official Review: Lost in the Wallpaper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cheza
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheza.html
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano

Official Review: Lost in the Wallpaper

Post by cheza »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano.]
Book Cover for 9781468932867
Share This Review

Summary: Ann Hanson does nothing out of the ordinary, but she is no “ordinary” woman, despite her name. She does not look forward to the annual family “vacation” that she must take part, and her current look at life does not help the matter. Little to Ann’s knowledge, what was once a trip of excruciating agony becomes one of discoveries and feelings of desire she lost long ago.

This book of fiction is about Ann Hanson, a woman in her early forties who has no choice in the matters of familial duties. This book may sound most suited for romance (i.e. Harlequin Romance novels), and though geared in that direction, I found this book to be more of a slice of life genre. The book is an easy 119 pages and recommended to those who enjoy slice of life, drama, and hints of romance.

Serrano begins “Lost in the Wallpaper: Secrets of Days Gone By” with an interesting twist: readers assume Ann Hanson, the main character, will initially have an enjoyable time, but quickly realize that is not the case. The reader immediately feels what Ann feels: agony, distaste, and an extreme indifference towards the idea of a “vacation”. Serrano clearly makes the distinction between the “vacation” Ann is about to experience as she has many times before, opposed to the reader’s understanding of the word.

The main focus of the story, despite its title, is not solely about the wallpaper. I do appreciate Serrano’s slight nod to “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, even if unintended. Unlike that piece, Serrano focuses on Ann and her distraught feelings, and how Ann comes to term with them day by day. Readers will see Ann self-destruct mentally, to the point where she decides to take the stress no longer.

The clincher that aids Ann in her journey to self-improvement is the wallpaper in her room. The couple she so admires, the time that she wishes to be in (rather than her current one) all bring her closer to someone readers do not expect. The drama aspect in this piece is the fact that Ann is not happy in her married life: she had not been whisked away off her feet as her sisters had – she took the “safe” route. There is not so much romance, more so the idea of a possible romance. I expected the story to go in the route of the obvious, but to my surprise and delight, Serrano did not choose that route.

The story, overall, is a well written piece that definitely tugs at one’s emotional heartstrings. If others read “Lost in the Wallpaper: Secrets of Days Gone By” as I had, they will “become” Ann, just the same. Serrano’s writing allows one to transport themselves into a different world that which is Ann’s. “Lost in the Wallpaper: Secrets of Days Gone By” had a few grammatical errors which are easily fixed; Serrano’s writing is very easy to follow. That being said, I give this book a solid 3.5 out of 4.

Buy "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" on Amazon
Buy "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" on Barnes and Noble
View hassle-free sample of "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By"
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”