Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Ella
Bookshelf Size: 0

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Post by Sarah_Ella »

I don't often read thrillers, but I'm really glad that I read this one! Once I got into the story line I couldn't put the book down, I think I devoured it in two days. It completely blew me away, for days I was thinking about it after I had finished it (which I think is a sign of a good book). The ending was a little anti climactic but in looking back it could end no other way. In a way there is triumph over evil but not in a way you would expect...
Happy reading!
maudiemul

Post by maudiemul »

I'm with you on this. I surprised myself by liking this so much. It's nice to read a thriller that actually kept me guessing. I agree with you on the ending too. My biggest problem with books like this is that I have a tendancy to guess endings from the minute I start and usually end up disappointed but, to be fair, I was so caught up in what was going on with the characters at the present moment that I kinda forgot my habitual guesswork!
Sarah_Ella

Post by Sarah_Ella »

I thought it was quite difficult to guess the ending; I tried but because of the way it was written (first in Amy's perspective and then in Nick's) I found myself thinking that each one was good then bad then good again, it completely turned me around... it was so difficult to write that sentence without spoilers :)
lishabean1

Post by lishabean1 »

I've tried getting through this book twice and end up stopping. After reading some of your posts maybe I should give it another try. It just seems to drag out in these first couple of chapters and if I'm not interested early on its hard for me to continue reading.
Shadowed_Gates
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Honest Illusions
Currently Reading: Moxie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowed-gates.html
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Shadowed_Gates »

I read this book about a month ago and only recently found out that there would be a movie adaptation. I'm actually pleased with that because this book really read like something I could see on screen. Now I'm not going to lie, I figured out the main "mystery" pretty quickly but it still kept my attention due to all the small twists and just pure craziness of it all. To top it off, I've never read a book where the main characters are just so easy to dislike.
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
pratikshya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratikshya.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by pratikshya »

i really want to read this book, telegraph book review was great.
southernphoenix79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-southernphoenix79.html

Post by southernphoenix79 »

I read this as part of an online facebook reading group and fell in love with Gillian Flynn! I inhaled this book as well as Dark Places. I'm actually looking forward to Ben Affleck as Nick and am still a bit sad that Reese Witherspoon won't be Amy.
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

I tried hard to get into this book but finally gave it up. After your reviews I'm going to try again. I just have so many books to get to that I hate to waste time with one that doesn't get my interest right away.
Garett Kelly

Post by Garett Kelly »

I have Gone Girl like 4 months back, or more. Still got it in my e-reader. Opened it, read a couple of pages, closed it, tried again, closed it... And i talked to our copywriter who gave me the book, told him the ending, he said i was right. But i never finished it, not even got to half of it. For me, i give it 2 out of 5.
But everyone seemed to like it, so maybe ill give it one more try.
blessed1tina
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessed1tina.html

Post by blessed1tina »

I too tried to read this book and it didn't hold my attention within the first 10 or so pages...but after reading these post maybe I will try to read it again....maybe.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

lishabean1 wrote:I've tried getting through this book twice and end up stopping. After reading some of your posts maybe I should give it another try. It just seems to drag out in these first couple of chapters and if I'm not interested early on its hard for me to continue reading.
The beginning did drag a little. It gets better. I didn't like it very much at first, but I ended up really enjoying it.
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

So many found it hard to get into this book but kept plugging. To me there are so many books to read I can't be bothered struggling with one. I used to think 50 pages & then give it up but was told 20 pages is sufficient. How do others feel about this? 20 or 50
Smarty79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smarty79.html

Post by Smarty79 »

This book is amazing. I want to re-read it because I think I would get so much more out of it a second time. How the author planned everything out so perfectly is amazing. It is so shocking and keeps you guessing at every turn. I would really recommend this book.
meganharnett
Currently Reading: The Other Side of the Island
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganharnett.html

Post by meganharnett »

I thought this book was amazing! I usually don't like thrillers but a friend of mine recommended it to me and I decided to give it a try. I listened to it on audio and it was great. It had so many twists and turns I would stop and say "seriously that did not just happened!" I also would switch back and forth from liking the husband then liking the wife and in the end I couldn't decide who was worse. Overall great book and kept me on my toes the whole time.
trappa

Post by trappa »

Great book. I read flynns other books, this is the best but definitely an author to watch out for.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”