Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Springmeow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Post by Springmeow »

I love suspense fiction and I've enjoyed Gillian Flynn's two previous novels. 'Gone Girl' is her best yet. The construction is brilliant and the resolution is perfect. A must-read for anyone who loves depth-of-character in a psychological thriller.
mcjackson1s
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcjackson1s.html

Post by mcjackson1s »

I thought Gone Girl was amazing for the first half of the book. After that, it was like someone else finished what Flynn had started writing. The first half was suspenseful and a real page turner, I couldn't put it down. I lost interested after that.
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

I would recommend giving it another try if you gave up early. I thought the storyline was excellent. I did read Sharp Objects after Gone Girl, hoping for the same twists and turns. It was good, but I didn't think it was as good as Gone Girl.
Springmeow

Post by Springmeow »

'Sharp Objects' was a really good story, but the weakest of her three novels in my opinion. Try 'Dark Places'--the first of Flynn's novels I read, and the one that got me hooked on her. I thought 'Gone Girl' was fantastic and I have recommended it to several people. I'm really surprised that some people don't agree that it's one of the best suspense novels in years!
JenniferOoley

Post by JenniferOoley »

I like thrillers and anything that keeps you guessing through the book. I thought the author did well in painting of picture of both of the main characters. I identified with the female character and how she kept everything in check, even though her life seemed a little dull, but she was good at hiding her mental craziness. I thought the husband really got he deserved in the end. I recommend the book to everyone, especially married couples. There is a lot of insightful information that some people don't really consider within their normal lives. Definitely a book I will read again. Great read.
Kalamazoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalamazoo.html

Post by Kalamazoo »

This book came highly recommended by a friend, and I loved it! I was not impressed with the ending, but enjoyed the book enough to overcome that disappointment. I ended up reading both of Gillian Flynn's other books within weeks and I enjoyed them as well. I would like to find some more authors who write stand-alone books that I enjoy as much as Gillian Flynn's.
TojayTurbo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tojayturbo.html

Post by TojayTurbo »

I was disappointed in the second half of the book, because it didn't seem to flow quite like the first half, but it was a really good book. The story was different and easily gets you hooked into wanting to find out what's coming next.

It's definitely a book I'd recommend to anyone who loves mystery and suspense.
sarahas8609
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahas8609.html
Latest Review: "Hawthorne Cottage" by R. L. McCallum

Post by sarahas8609 »

This book was great because I was unable to put it down. There were so many twists and turns it was hard to keep my feelings about each character straight. It is definitely an awesome read. I was a little dissatisfied with the ending though. I was hoping that the characters would get more of what they deserved in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Hawthorne Cottage" by R. L. McCallum
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by mbeasley »

I haven't read this yet but really enjoyed one of her other novels "Dark Places".
Springmeow

Post by Springmeow »

I see a lot of people here were disappointed by the ending. All through the book I wondered, "How can this possibly have a satisfying ending?". I couldn't imagine, but I thought the ending was perfect! It left the tension of the relationship intact and kept me wishing I could see what happened next...
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

The book was really interesting and just so crazy! I liked all the twists and turns and I, like many other's, was disappointed with the ending. and honestly, I liked that neither of the two protagonists were really all that likable.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

Great book to enjoy. Loved reading it.
Scooby
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scooby.html

Post by Scooby »

I could not put this book down. I loved how it kept twisting so what you thought was true could change in an instant. One of my favorites.
heather ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-ahern.html

Post by heather ahern »

After seeing the book "Gone Girl" by Jillian Flynn popping up everywhere, I had to pick it up and give it a try. Choosing it for my monthly book club pick I delved right in. I love a book with lots of twists and turns in the plot, and this book is right up that alley. The characters kept you guessing as to where the author was taking you next. After reading "Gone Girl", I read two other books by Gillian Flynn and have to say that her other two books mirror her dark side with haunting details and a feeling that you want to stay up all night just to see what happens next. I look forward to the movie coming out, but I always think the book is better than the movie!
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Just finished reading this (in two days) and really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down - the way it flipped between Nick's and Amy's point of view, and the lies, half truth's and omissions of both truth and lies was deviously clever. I couldn't see how it was going to finish as I got closer and closer to the end and, although I would have liked to know what happened next, I guess it ended the only way it could, given the characters and the circumstances they found themselves in / created.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”