Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ROBBIESMOMMY
Favorite Author: Jessica Beck
Favorite Book: A Miracle for Miriam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Post by ROBBIESMOMMY »

An absolute thriller from beginning to almost end. Gillian Flynn will have you twisting and turning chapter after chapter. She does and excellent job building up characters and developing the plot. There are a few times that she leaves you wanting to know more, however just then she will twist you into another persons point of view. It is not a conventional thriller and its hard to talk about it without giving it away. GONE GIRL is a thriller, but it's a slow burn. Flynn strings you along. She doles out just enough information to make you think you've figured things out before she hits you with another "GOTCHA!" revelation that changes everything. And she saves the biggest gotcha of all for the end, which is shocking in its subtlety. The way the story ends puts the final seal on what a truly sick relationship Nick and Amy had.
The path is twisted, disturbing, and sometimes horrifying. It's also irresistible.
Sensitive readers should proceed with caution. The book does contain coarse language as well as some violence and sexual content.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I read this book several months ago and couldn't put it down. Although I didn't love the ending, it was an outstanding read. The plot was very absorbing and I gasped during a few of the plot twists. It's not often that I don't figure things out in a mystery/thriller. In this case, I didn't see any of the twists and turns coming.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

I am about 1/3 of the way through Gone Girl, and I am dreading finishing it. I'm just so sick of Nick and Amy! I really hate both characters! They are so fake: cute on the outside but dark and snarky on the inside. However, I will pick this book back up and finish it. I WILL! I have to keep reading because I want to know what happens. The movie has been out for a while now, so it's surprising that I haven't already heard how the story ends.

I loved Sharp Objects, and Dark Places was a pretty good read. I selected Gone Girl thinking it would be the best of her three novels. So far I'm not impressed by all of the clever wordiness, but I'll keep reading...
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
sdeerfield82
Favorite Author: Chris Bojhalian
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Queen of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdeerfield82.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by sdeerfield82 »

jazziemommie - I am right there with you! I felt like I was one of the only people in the world who didn't love "Gone Girl" until I read your post.

I liked it OK but it really didn't do for me what the other Gillian Flynn books did. I disagree in one regard though. I have recently realized I need to really love or really hate the main characters to get consumed by a book - and I didn't love or hate Nick and Amy. I thought they were so bland. I found that I really didn't care how it ended or what happened to either of them.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
ncreads
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncreads.html

Post by ncreads »

I picked up Gone Girl because I had previously read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and loved it. I devoured this novel as it had me enticed from the first page. I hate every character in this book though. Not that they're not relatable and make a great story but I really just wanted to knock some since into all of them. And that ending. I was so mad and shocked at the way that it ended that I literally just stared at the last page for five minutes. I then followed this up with Sharp Objects and loved it too. I recommend Gillian Flynn to anyone that loves thrillers.
silverysunset
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by silverysunset »

doglvr wrote:So many found it hard to get into this book but kept plugging. To me there are so many books to read I can't be bothered struggling with one. I used to think 50 pages & then give it up but was told 20 pages is sufficient. How do others feel about this? 20 or 50
I'd say 50. After only 20, you've barely started the book. In some cases you're not even past the first 2 chapters. But I agree that there needs to be a hook early on.
Melinda1973
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melinda1973.html

Post by Melinda1973 »

I read this book a year or more ago before I found out it was coming out as a movie. Loved it! I am always up for a book with unusual twists. What an amazing imagination Gillian Flynn has. I read her two other books shortly after. While I enjoyed them, Gone Girl, was by far my favorite.
Nash100
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nash100.html

Post by Nash100 »

I picked up Gillian Flynn's new novel Gone girl as the plot seemed intriguing and I really wanted to be engrossed in a story line where I could not guess the ending half way through reading the book. Although Gone girl was a great read ,the twist and turns were far to predictable and what was suppose to be a sheer surprise at the end of the book was noting of the sort for me as I had figured it out halfway through the book. Its such a shame that the predictableness of the book ruins it as it is as I stated before a good read. I have read other reviews where they suggest that they were utterly and totally shocked by the twist so please if anybody else had the same problem as me let me no. Thank you :D
Mona Pence
Currently Reading: Hard Place
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mona-pence.html

Post by Mona Pence »

Former New York writers Nick and Amy are celebrating their 5th Wedding Anniversary. They relocated to Nck's hometown in Missouri to take care of his mother. They are looking for a fresh start.

After 2 years their relationship is rocky and Nick returns home after working at The Bar he set up with his sister Go and finds Amy has disappeared.

The story follows their lives, how they interact,and get to know each other better. And learn about each other as time goes by.

This is a really good book! But for those of you who like to read books consequently. You should read Sharp Objects first, then Dark Places.
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

If you like Gone Girl PLEASE read Gillian Flynn's Dark Places and Sharp Objects. I inhaled those books! I am incapable of putting her books down. They are exciting and dark and almost taboo.

SABernier

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”