Official Review: Burning Sapphires by Suresh K Goswami

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joreasonable
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joreasonable.html
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter

Official Review: Burning Sapphires by Suresh K Goswami

Post by joreasonable »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Burning Sapphires" by Suresh K Goswami.]
Book Cover for 9781482800807
Share This Review

I really enjoy reading books about other countries and cultures and this is no different. It is based in the north of India in the isolated Jammu & Kashmir region and various other locations. Written about a young girl who grows into a strong and fearless woman. It is simply written with no difficult words and is a nice quick read, with some very dark and harsh moments around half way through. There are shortish chapters which I love as I it makes the books easy to pick up and put down.

The author provides information regarding the militant in the area and has good knowledge of the area, but often writes the heights of the area in feet and sometimes in metres, it would be nice to have them in one or the other or even both rather than sometimes one and sometimes the other. A map would have been a nice addition to illustrate the journeys taken.

There are rich descriptions of the various journeys taken by the characters in the book and show the knowledge that the author has of the wide area covered. There are some wonderful descriptions like: Quote “It was home to the demons that walked and danced, playing with their guns and spitting fury where ever they went” End Quote.

Ghulab is the main character and she is great and also my favourite but I also enjoyed the Murtaza story, I guess we all love a baddie every now and then. Ghulab grows into a very strong character as the book goes on. There are various other characters but they don´t have so much importance apart from Murtaza. I enjoyed the way the author outlined the Murtaza storyline and how the next to no interaction between Ghulab and Murtaza had an influence on Ghulab´s life.

There are a few minor spelling mistakes: Page 58: “burry your thoughts” it should be “Bury your thoughts” .I was not at all keen on the cover it doesn´t do the book justice at all although the title is great. Even though this is a fiction book there are elements that could have been taken from real life and if you are looking for a simple, fast read pick me up, feel good, I can do it sort of book, then this is for you.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Burning Sapphires" on Amazon
Buy "Burning Sapphires" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”