Official Review: Built-for-Impact by Collins Funsani

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Starric
Favorite Author: Zelazny
Favorite Book: Nine Princes in Amber
Currently Reading: IDA Pro Book
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starric.html
Latest Review: "Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani

Official Review: Built-for-Impact by Collins Funsani

Post by Starric »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani.]

Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani contains he following short stories within:

1. Sharp Eyesight
2. Like an Eagle's Attention
3. Who Mounds My Destiny
4. The Best I Can Do for Me
5. My Thoughts, My Life
6. Like an Eagle's Strength – 1
7. Like an Eagle's Strength – 2
8. World Citizen
9. Trouncing the Merciless Grip of Stupidity
10. One Crucial Universal Law
11. Do Yourself a Favour

A book of 11 tales, each wrapped around observations and inspirations that seek to educate or raise awareness in the reader. Of course nothing beats the author's own words, "[The volume is] designed to give you an enthralling ride while showering you with time-honoured insights." Its obvious from the reading that the author spent some time pondering each story and what insights to share.

The first, "Sharp Eyesight " is a tale of foresight with follow-on observations illustrating real world implications. While several points were presented in the tale one stood out more than the other, which I give you in the words of the author, "...appreciate that seeing ahead is strategic and not just being short-term minded." Regardless, the points the author made were well crafted and appropriate to the tale and to life. Quotes from other respected authors were sprinkled in the writing but to good effect without overwhelming the author's own composition.

The second, "Like an Eagle's Attention", speaks about the ability to focus, to concentrate every ounce of attention and willpower on a single objective. It illustrates the case well, showing that in doing, in practicing regularly, a person earns the approbation of others. It also speaks to choosing associations wisely as they impact you as much as you impact them.

The third, "Who Moulds My Destiny", encourages the reader to deduce that they are the controllers of their fate. It does so gently, via the story of an elderly grandmother conversing with a child, not in a didactic, dry manner but like gently teasing snags from yarn.

The fourth, "The Best I Can Do for Me", again takes the angle of wisdom passed from the wise and elderly to the young. It builds on the preceding tale with the same characters, the wise grandmother and the young child. The tale snares the reader with the idea of the fairness of life, or lack thereof, and induces them to find the answer to that question. While so often cast in selfishness, the tale invites the reader to measure a broader spectrum before casting a vote one way or another. A chief point of this tale is that education and the refinement of self is part of the answer and the way to change.

The fifth, "My Thoughts, My Life", continues with the same characters from the two tales before. This time they grapple with the idea of the "mind" and what it entails. The comparison to a garden was quite apt and fitting to illustrate the author's point. Just as the use of the idiom "quality over quantity" when discussing the use of one's mind. This tale has more – much more – is is the most illustrative of the three portraying the grandmother and child.

The sixth, "Like an Eagle's Strength – 1", conveys the thought of whatever you do the most is what you will be the best and strongest at, or so a grandfather admonishes his two grandchildren. The thought is further expounded as the grandfather insists they contemplate how one can learn to do anything by just listening; how to learn agriculture without a garden, for example. The thought and others relating to it are strongly reinforced several times in the tale.

The seventh, "Like an Eagle's Strength – 2", juggles the ideals of self realization and the value of acting upon the epiphanies gained thereof. Disguised in the tale is the element of hope; how it can come through dedication, by climbing above trials and tribulations.

The eighth, "World Citizen", is a discourse on the flow of time, on how it differs depending on how you perceive it, whether through the eyes of a child, an adult or when idle or busy. It also talks about optimism ("I CAN") and looking beyond localities to the wider world to widen one's perception. As a cautionary note, it did not read as smoothly as the other tales.

The ninth, "Trouncing the Merciless Grip of Stupidity", puts shines a light on current events in the world by clothing it in the guise of something from the past. Its cleverly done and provides an answer, which I will leave for other readers to explore.

The tenth, "One Crucial Universal Law', speaks to the bane of many a parent: how to handle the actions of undisciplined children. It also represents a current malady as well – parents are forgetting to parent. The best teachers are the parent, not the school and to leave them solely in the school's care is to leave them without crucial guidance. More lies in this tale, including a good dose of practicality and the concept that one is given many things both good and bad; how they are cultivated shows their fruit. All that aside, it discusses the morality of exploiting others for personal gain.

The last and eleventh, "Do Yourself a Favour", tells the story of a fortune teller and how she employs her skills to tell the future. Its less about how she sees the future than a dialogue on human nature. The actions we take today bear fruit in the tomorrow. What we choose or don't choose to do defines our dreams and lends to their ultimate materialization.

The final story and its follow on observations are a fitting end to the book. If what you seek is guidance and some observations on the human soul, then this book is a definite match for you. Take the time to get to know it; you won't be disappointed.

I rate the collection 3 out of 4 stars overall.

Buy "Built for Impact" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”