Official Review: Pyotr Ilyich by Adin Dalton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joreasonable
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joreasonable.html
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter

Official Review: Pyotr Ilyich by Adin Dalton

Post by joreasonable »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pyotr Ilyich" by Adin Dalton.]

I am not sure my review could do the book justice, but I will give it a go:

Tchaikovsky. Ever heard the name before? I am sure you have, and if you haven´t, well you probably should have, but, did you know his first names? Maybe not. Pyotr Ilyich Tchailovsky is his full name. But how much do you actually know about the composer? not much I can imagine, and neither did I until I read this novel. Give it a go and you will learn about his life and loves and death. This novel is the story of Tchaikovsky.

It is a work of art written in novel style rather than non fiction and it works extremely well, from the author Adin Dalton who spent 8 years of his life researching and writing the book. A little long at 662 pages, but there are no boring parts at all. although it would have been nice to have added a little more about the illegal hearing he was put through. I though there was a lack of this.

Adin´s descriptions bring Pyotr Ilyich´s life alive, feelings, senses, smells, all seemed to swirl around in my head while I read it. I found myself humming Swan Lake for various days. I was drawn into the book, and when I wasn´t reading it, I wanted to. I wanted to read it in one sitting but at 662 pages long I found it to be impossible.

The book is well written in the third person with Pyotr being the obvious main character along with various family members. The sex scenes throughout are tasteful. I found I enjoyed the whole book, so I couldn´t say I had one particular favourite part, but the parts where Pyotr traveled were probably it. There were times when the author has included letters or correspondence and this was in a different format to the normal font and although I enlarged it, it was still a little too small for comfort. Maybe it could be improved.

This is a historical fiction novel. It won´t appeal to all readers and probably not for younger readers, but those who are interested in the life of Tchaikovsky. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Below is an interesting comment from the author on his Goodreads page.

I truly believe that the nineteenth-century composer, P I Tchaikovsky did not die of cholera as the scholars insist. His death bed, as well as his remains, were not administered in compliance with victims of cholera at the time. Furthermore, there was talk of poison among those close to him before any word of cholera was disclosed. Of course, I do not believe he would have committed suicide either. Perhaps the truth of his mysterious death lies elsewhere... Quite a difficult spot to be in as Tchaikovsky's first novelist!
Thanks, Adin

Buy "Pyotr Ilyich" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Thank you for your time writing and sharing this review
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

Great review, I'm really interested to read this book now :)
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
QuirrellsTurban
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by QuirrellsTurban »

This sounds like a great book and I think I might buy it now! Thank you for your review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”