Elm Creek Quilt Series by Jennifer Chiaverini

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phillygirlatheart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Elm Creek Quilt Series by Jennifer Chiaverini

Post by Phillygirlatheart »

What a delightful series full of historical information disguised behind quilts and fiction. I loved the characters represented in the books both from the present and those from flashbacks to historical time periods. The stories take place at Elm Creek Manor in Pennsylvania where Sylvia, the main character lives on her families homestead. The stories in present day revolve around a quilting club and a cast of unique and interesting characters. Sylvia is quite a cantankerous character when we first meet her, but there is much change throughout this long series. If you love to finish a book and pick up the next to continue a journey through the pages of a series, and you love quilting or the bonds it's forms; these books are for you. There are patterns for the type of quilts described in each book that allow you to creat your own or just admire the detail and work that goes with the quilt making. In many of the books you learn how quilts were invaluable in history from slavery to war. The author does a wonderful job weaving the stories together where you can read them individually or in order of the series.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Phillygirlatheart wrote:What a delightful series full of historical information disguised behind quilts and fiction. I loved the characters represented in the books both from the present and those from flashbacks to historical time periods. The stories take place at Elm Creek Manor in Pennsylvania where Sylvia, the main character lives on her families homestead. The stories in present day revolve around a quilting club and a cast of unique and interesting characters. Sylvia is quite a cantankerous character when we first meet her, but there is much change throughout this long series. If you love to finish a book and pick up the next to continue a journey through the pages of a series, and you love quilting or the bonds it's forms; these books are for you. There are patterns for the type of quilts described in each book that allow you to creat your own or just admire the detail and work that goes with the quilt making. In many of the books you learn how quilts were invaluable in history from slavery to war. The author does a wonderful job weaving the stories together where you can read them individually or in order of the series.
I've been wanting to read these books because I love quilting but wasn't sure how the books would be. The way you have described the books makes me want to try them out now. I like reading about history when it is more connected to people so one can understand why people did what they did during the times they lived through.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”