Official Review: Opposite Extremes by Jeremy Morgan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Official Review: Opposite Extremes by Jeremy Morgan

Post by AnaF »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Opposite Extremes" by Jeremy Morgan.]

Opposite Extremes is Jeremy Morgan’s first novella.

Lan Handerson, a man in is late twenties, had two relationships that stood out in his life. Even though they were with two completely different women, they were instrumental to help him become the person he is today.

First there was impulsive and extroverted Jessica, an American girl that didn’t seem to have the word “stop” on her vocabulary, living her life like if bad consequences didn’t exist. And then there was Sam, a refined and conservative Chinese violinist, with a racist father and a great respect for family traditions.

When Lan decided to move to Hong Kong with Sam, he couldn’t help reminisce what he had been through and how that helped him to overcome several obstacles and find love.

This novella had some interesting elements. The descriptions and how details about Hong Kong were incorporated made the whole setting a lot more vivid. Also, the fact that we got to experience this city through the perspective of an American made it seem a lot more exotic and we were more aware of the differences between Western and Eastern cultures.

The characters were also brilliantly written. They were unique in their own way, with completely different personalities and life experiences. Nonetheless, it was quite interesting to see how these two women, so different from one another, had influenced Lan and had helped him turn his life around and make him more aware of his capabilities and of what he could achieve.

However, I have to admit, I’m not the biggest fan of novellas and short stories because I always feel there is something missing, that things end a bit abruptly while leaving a lot of questions without any answers. Fortunately, that didn’t happen this time. Even though this story was somewhat short, I liked how it developed and how the author tied everything at the end.

Overall I enjoyed this novella and I give it 3.5 stars out of 4. The author’s writing style is quite engrossing, something that could also be said about the imagery he incorporated into story. The fact that Lan’s journey is so relatable, makes the whole story more realistic and engages the reader a lot more easily. I would definitely recommend this novella; it’s an appealing story with great characters that will make you think about love, family, traditions, culture shock and life overall. A well accomplished novella that will keep you glued to its pages until the very end.

Buy "Opposite Extremes" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”