Official Review: A Wandering Warrior by Harry E Gilleland Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LolaC
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolac.html
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr

Official Review: A Wandering Warrior by Harry E Gilleland Jr

Post by LolaC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr.]
Book Cover for 2940016648033
Share This Review

A Wandering Warrior by Harry E Gilleland Jr is a fictional novel set in the 12th century and revolves around a young gentleman called Thomas. This is the authors eighth publication and has presented another well-written book which has an engaging storyline.

Thomas, is a young soldier who we initially see in battle alongside his beloved uncle who is unfortunately killed during the fight. Thomas himself is mortally wounded however finds himself in the generous company of two villagers who nurse him back to health. He then makes the heart wrenching discovery that his dearly beloved brother was killed in a very thoughtless death without honour. Now that none of his blood family are alive his primary goal from henceforth is clear: to avenge the death of his family members.

It is quite an emotional journey where we see the protagoinst go through the deep sorrow of loss and the joys of new love. He also goes through different stages of development in his professional stature. At first he calls himself a commoner and by the end of the book he is anything but. In addition to this the book also clearly signposts his achievements in the different confrontations he finds himself in. The action scenes are described vividly without being too gruesome. Nevertheless there are a few incredible twists in the plot which keep you want to continue reading.

I enjoyed this book greatly and it ends with a satisfying conclusion. The quality of the language used is excellent and the author has evidently gone through great efforts to give a historically accurate work of fiction. Everything from the language to the gowns worn by the characters have been researched and this ability leaves the reader with a very authentic insight into what Thomas and his friends go through. There are also illustrations which show the path Thomas is taking and gives added information although they were not critical to the plot. I personally feel that this is an excellent book for those who enjoy historical fiction.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "A Wandering Warrior" on Amazon
Buy "A Wandering Warrior" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Thank you. Historical Fiction, or Epic Fiction as I like to think of it, is one of my favorite genres. The story sounds good and I hope to join Thomas on his quest one day.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! I enjoy historical fiction, and this book sounds very promising.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

An authentic book with beautiful illustrations that I would love to see and I would love to check out. This is a good review.
Alexander Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The quest for vengeance that Thomas embarks on after discovering the senseless death of his beloved brother is a powerful and relatable motivation. It not only adds a layer of suspense to the narrative but also explores themes of honor and justice, which are timeless and resonant.
kwamemeloy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwamemeloy.html
Latest Review: Love And Murder by Dr. Irv Arenberg

Post by kwamemeloy »

My, the book must be proud to have such a thoughtful evaluation.
Annabell Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Annabell Samuel »

This book is set in ancient times. I'm sure the author did a lot of work to study and understand the setting. Great job on the review.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

I like historical fiction books. I will add this to my shelves. Thanks a lot