Official Review: Fifty Three

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megan394
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan394.html
Latest Review: "Fifty Three" by Rosanita Ratcliff

Official Review: Fifty Three

Post by Megan394 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fifty Three" by Rosanita Ratcliff.]

This book tells the story of Jelynda an African- American woman. It tells a story of a woman who wanted to do great things after college but instead hits rock bottom. She switches jobs a few times, has barely enough money to keep going, has lost touch with all her college friends, and has health problems. This story is all about keeping going when the going gets tough. This story is one that just about anyone can relate too.

I found myself tearing up multiple times while reading this book. Ratcliff has a way of touching the reader’s heart. She writes about situations that anyone can relate too, but she does it in a way that makes it unique and special. This book also had a touch of romanticism. I liked that Ratcliff did not make it into a love story, where the whole story centered on Jelynda and her love life. Love happened accidently. Jelynda had many different kinds of relationships with people in this book. Through those relationships you see she is a very accepting, loving, and strong person.

I can’t pin point anything that I didn’t like about this book. It grabbed my attention and pulled me right in, from the very first sentence, “As Jelynda changed the diaper of her elderly client, she thought to herself, “This isn’t how I thought I would be changing the world.”” I wanted to see how and if Jelynda would change the world and who would help her along the way. This book is not very long; therefore, it doesn’t drag in places. It just tells the story.

This book is part of a series. My one complaint would have to be that this book didn’t really have any loose ends. It felt wrapped up to me. If it is going to be part of a series there should have been something to make me want to read the next book, some kind of a cliffhanger.

Overall I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me interested the whole time and even played with my emotions a little. I am glad there is a second book because I found myself wishing this book never ended.

Buy "Fifty Three" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Fifty Three" by Rosanita Ratcliff

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”