Official Review: Red Bear by Paul G Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LolaC
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolac.html
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr

Official Review: Red Bear by Paul G Day

Post by LolaC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Red Bear and the Indian Chief" by Paul G Day.]

Red Bear by Paul G. Day is a delightful book for children around the ages of 6-8. He has authored several other published works for young adults but this was one of his first works for children from what I could see from my research. Obviously as it is a bedtime read I would prefer the hard copy version and since I had seen other good reviews for it I borrowed it from a friend who had it and chose two test subjects to red it to. To my surprise, they wanted to read the book themselves and easily read through it. Both of the children are 7 years old; one is a boy and the other is a girl.

The book is about the adventures of a bear who has a very different outlook on live as he traverses the woods looking for new adventures and friends. He constantly reflects on what happens and shows great judgement and character. It is a very good book in that it not the typical type of 'preachy' book where the author is constantly trying to shove a moral story down children's necks. Instead this book very cleverly shows how Bear goes through his adventures and gives and interesting thought process behind his actions.

The children reading this book were both fascinated by Bear's reactions to the situations, and it allowed for further discussion. The book is well illustrated and both of the children were captivated by Bear's bright crimson colour. The imagery is also included in the words and helped the children to learn some new words too. Bear's adventure is a whimsical one and the children really enjoyed this book.

Overall I give it a 3 out of 4 stars. The story was very appropriate for children their age however some other things such as onomatopoeia and other literary devices that children love could have been used to create a more vivid imagery.

Buy "Red Bear and the Indian Chief" on Amazon
Latest Review: "A Wandering Warrior" by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”