Divergent- Veronica Roth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Re: Divergent- Veronica Roth

Post by shayna »

I really enjoyed this series. The plot was so creative and the last book (Allegiant) blew me away!
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Singnpink
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Singnpink »

I must say that I really, really enjoyed this series!!! it makes you think out of the box. I loved the story and the characters! it is one of my favorite Sci-Fi books! The story is based off of a girl named Tris aka Beatrice. It is set in the future in Chicago. It is basically where people live in groups called factions and you have to choose where you belong but, Tris is not like the others. She is Divergent. This book has you on the edge of your seat wanting more! I recommend this series!!!
Wonderwoman7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonderwoman7.html

Post by Wonderwoman7 »

Just one word.Four.I am in <3 with him!
Superchoby
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superchoby.html

Post by Superchoby »

Great book, when I read this book I just couldn't stop reading it which got me into trouble by my parents but it was totally worth it.
Girlcoupon29

Post by Girlcoupon29 »

I just finished Divergent and I can't wait to go to the store and buy Insurgent. I think Veronica Roth did an excellent job, this being her first novel. I liked that Tris is strong and faced her fears.
WhynottBlog
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whynottblog.html

Post by WhynottBlog »

I read this book in three sittings over two days. I couldn't put it down! The action was great and I also really love the idea of the factions. The thing I liked the most about it though was the love story. Unlike all other YA series that include a love story element, this one felt realistic and sent a positive message. Guys can like girls for their strength! Go figure that one! I haven't read the last two books yet, but I can't get Divergent out of my head for some reason, so it'll probably happen soon.
simonmambo2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simonmambo2015.html

Post by simonmambo2015 »

Very enjoyable. Easy reading. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. then I will be able to comment on all of them. Great read!
book_worm615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm615.html

Post by book_worm615 »

In my opinion, Divergent was a good novel to read. Not one full of page turning action, but action nonetheless. The character development for Tris was on point, and Four's character portrayed the badass and mysterious untouchable hottie (probably my favourite character). Throughout this trilogy though, I'll have to say that Divergent was the best.
oxalis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oxalis.html

Post by oxalis »

i love this book!

-- 11 Dec 2014, 18:11 --
AngelBellaDonna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbelladonna.html

Post by AngelBellaDonna »

I read this book, even though its not my usual cup of tea, and I was suprised by how good it was! Can't wait for allegient!
Jennbookie

Post by Jennbookie »

I really enjoyed Divergent. It was really interesting and kept my attention. I loved the way she used Chicago as the backdrop for this book. I think it made it more relatable to imagine a huge city changed years in the future. It makes you think about what could happen to us in the future if something changed in our world. I have read the entire series and I really liked it. I wasn't crazy about the way she finished the third book, but it definitely took me by surprise.
Saviblair
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saviblair.html

Post by Saviblair »

Divergent was definitely a great read, but the trilogy kind of declines from there. I was pretty with Insurgent, but Allegiant was such a disappointment ): I was very happy with the Divergent movie, though! It seemed to stick to the book for the most part.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I read Divergent but not any of the other books in this series. I found it to be kind of bland for a post-apocalyptic distopian society. The "bad guy" felt over drawn. I admit it is a neat concept but It fell flat for me. I also did not care enough about the main character to continue the series. Whenever I talk about this book I always say "it is a poor man's Hunger Games."
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
laurafrutos
Favorite Author: Hermann Hesse
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3008">The Fault in Our Stars</a>
Currently Reading: Spiral
Bookshelf Size: 108
fav_author_id: 2860

Post by laurafrutos »

Am I the only one who loved the first 2 books, but REALLY hated the end of the Third? I don't mean that I hate that it ends, I mean I hate HOW it ends... I was so angry and frustated with it, that I threw the book to the Wall in my room! I was soooo waiting for the end and when I got it I was totally dissatisfied with it.

Any way, I still want to buy the Four Stories... Maybe his side of the story will make up for such a lousy end to a Genius Series.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I read Divergent and I didn't really think it was that good. I really liked Hunger Games and I thought the plot to Divergent seemed to be in the same genre so I might like it. I did finish reading it and it had some strengths. It just had too many weaknesses. I feel like it has a lot of promise and could have been much better if certain things were tweaked. The main weakness was the writing for the romance portions. It felt forced to me, like the connection between Tris and Four wasn't genuine and was shoved into the book because there has to be a romance. I tried to read the second book, Insurgent, because I still wanted to know what was going on in the overall storyarc, but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. I really want to like this series because the overall plot sounds really interesting, but I sadly cannot.

I am glad that a lot of people can enjoy it, though. Maybe I'm just too picky ;)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”