Matched- Ally Condie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dulciescott
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dulciescott.html

Re: Official Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Post by dulciescott »

I really enjoyed this series. I found that the 2nd one in the series was by far not as good, but the last one in the series was amazing - I enjoyed it a lot more than all the others. I liked how it was a lot about disease (one of my favorite aspects in a book!) and I liked the romance, because I thought the main character - Cassia - chose the right man!
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I actually didn't like this series at all. I found it incredibly irritating and too descriptive. I know it's a YA book series but some of the sentences where extremely juvenile (third grade level and lower). I even (with an open mind) read her most recent book, Atlantia, and by goodness that was awful too. I think I've given up on Condie. I won't pick up another book written by her. Sorry not sorry.
AKTuminello
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aktuminello.html

Post by AKTuminello »

Charlotteniblett7 wrote:I really enjoyed the first book, but I had to really push myself to read the next 2 and kept getting easily distracted and probably ended up skimming most of it. It wasn't nearly as engrossing as other dystopian style books tend to be and the lead characters could have done with a bit more personality.
Oh, thank goodness...I thought it was just me. I could not force myself to read books 2 and 3...although I tried. Did you try The Selection by Kiera Cass? I had the same issue with the sequels there.
Skylar41
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

Matched was a really great book! I loved the characters except the second book wasn't as great as the first.
sam_jean04

Post by sam_jean04 »

When I found this book I was honestly just looking for something to entertain me and the first book ended up being pretty good. As I read on, I felt like I was just reading to say I finished the series. It wasn't a book that I couldn't put down, but it wasn't dreadfully tasteless either. It had a few original ideas, but overall I felt like it was quite predictable. Not my favorite series.
mnm1246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnm1246.html

Post by mnm1246 »

I read this book hoping for a new dystopian YA series that I would be able to fall in love with. Sadly, that is not what I found. The story was predictable and I found the characters a bit annoying. While the book was by far not the worst I've read, I would not recommend it to others. :?
belcole
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belcole.html

Post by belcole »

I am a high school librarian and the Matched series was one that some students recommended so I purchased them to read. I agree with everyone else in that the first book was the best. I did read the second book and started the last book, but never did finish it. I will try to do that within the next month just to finish the series.
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I don't suggest to read the second book. It got so so so boring. That's just my opinion.
thereader123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereader123.html

Post by thereader123 »

If I was the star, of this book I would truly lose my mind, yes indeed, because who want to choose somebody life for them, well not me.
millerkre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millerkre.html

Post by millerkre »

I have read the first two books in this series and bought the third even though the second didn't really engage my attention. I was determined to finish the series since I already made it that far!

I made it about 100 pages into the last book in the series and I still haven't finished it. It's been over a year and I doubt I will ever pick up the book again.

I recommend the first book in this series but by the third book I just got burnt out on not caring what was written on the page.
lauramf5438

Post by lauramf5438 »

I have to agree with your review. For me, Matched was okay but nothing really special. I had actually forgotten that I had read it until I saw this forum. I didn't really like Cassia. She wasn't mean or horrible or anything, but I just usually like the main characters in the books I read to be a little bit witty and tougher. Anyways, Matched was fine but nothing that I am going to rave about in the future.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I have to agree with everyone else that Matched was pretty good but the other two books were pretty dull. I didn't particularly like any of the characters. It almost reminds me of the 70's because all anyone ever did in the book was sit around and think about love, poetry, and peace.
philianeo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philianeo.html

Post by philianeo »

I read Matched before I would say I hit my 'book lover' stage. I was about 10, maybe 11. Rather young, but the dystopian idea of a controlling government and lovers being separated drew me in. I wouldn't say I really enjoyed Matched, mainly because I didn't. Personally, I feel that the concept was good. The plot was an amazing idea, but I don't think that the book was built well to support such a plot. I went on to read the other two books in the series, Crossed and Reached when I was 13 and 14. I feel that those two books couldn't even match up to the first one. Plot developments that seemed rather complex and important were played in my mind as 'hm okay, cool.' and I think this was caused because the book simply failed to emphasize the importance of certain parts of the book.
Kyedra
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Kyedra »

I finally picked up Matched from the bookstore a couple of weeks ago. I thought it sounded interesting but it was anything but. This was one of the rare books where I literally finished 3/4 of it and just haven't touched it again. I couldn't connect with any of the characters at all. Cassia sounded like she was trying to be profound every chapter, but it just fell flat. I was even annoyed at her referencing her grandfather every chapter. She wasn't very interesting and I didn't understand her fascination with Ky as he didn't seem interesting either. I don't know. This book just didn't do it for me. :(
TashaS
Favorite Author: Carly Phillips
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55738">The Proving</a>
Currently Reading: Guilty Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 149
fav_author_id: 14270

Post by TashaS »

While I thought "Matched" was a good book I didn't love it enough to finish the trilogy. I was angry because even though she wanted her best friend to be her match, (and he turned out to be her match) she decided it would be better to go ahead and be with the other guy. The brooding loner who she had never spoken to before. I'm all for questioning authority when necessary, and I like the rebellious nature of the character, but I might have enjoyed it more if the author hadn't made it that she was already in "like" with her best friend. He after all turns out to be her perfect match. I get tired of all the love triangles and really wanted this character to be able to challenge the world and still love her best friend. After all aren't you supposed to marry your best friend?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”