Has a book made you feel like a "reading failure/challenge"?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yamunaji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Has a book made you feel like a "reading failure/challenge"?

Post by Yamunaji »

Hi all,

There aren't very many books that I start and then can't bring myself to finish, but there was one book that I started and just couldn't get into. I abandoned it on my bookshelf for almost a decade. I found it some ten years later and started again. I got a bit further than before the second time around, but halfway through, I just couldn't bring myself to carry on with. I'm quite ashamed to admit that as, usually, I'm really quick at starting and finishing off books. The book that made me feel like a reading failure was Catch-22. I know, I know - it's deemed an absolute classic, but to my shame, for some reason I couldn't get into it - even though, I admit it's very well written and clever.

It's still on my bookshelf, where's it'll probably languish for another decade. However, I am determined to pick it up one day and finish it off - Catch-22 has become my personal literally challenge.

So I want to know, have you ever found yourself in a similar position with a book? What is your reading failure/challenge?
Elfqueen

Post by Elfqueen »

I would say that Thomas Pynchon's V was a complete failure. I loved Gravity's Rainbow, even though only 'got' a very small percentage of it. But V just did me in.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Do you mean not liking or not understanding?
If I want to read something it may take me a long time and there are tons of books I am sure I don't understand,
which is one reason why I want to talk to other people about books.
If I don't like it, I don't read it.
I have books on the shelf that I started and didn't finish.
Most Infamous Purchased and Never Finished: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
Loved the first few pages. yep. Epic fail there.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

I can relate. Everyone seems to enjoy The Hobbit but I just can't get past the first page.
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

OK I know there are books that don't jump out and grab you but you have to try again.
Really, and this is Arwen talking, here, you have to try!
My life would have been so different without Arwen and Galadriel and Shadowfax.
On the same subject I can't finish Don Quixote. It just seems to go on and on and on and..well, you get the idea.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
A24

Post by A24 »

I felt that way about a few books - Catch 22 was one of them! Stopped reading it.
I also did not finish Night Circus which everyone raves about. I hated it and so, stopped reading it part-way through.
I also had a hard time reading The Hobbit. I was expecting it to be great but it labored on and on. I loved the movie however.
I still have The Count of Monte Cristo on my list. Tried a few times to start it but couldn't. Perhaps it's size was daunting! Someday!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

Again with The Hobbit!
Really?

Of course there are people here who think I am silly for not being able to finish Don Quijote.
Including me
i get it, it is just too long
Stephen Hawking left me feeling very uneducated even though it seems like it would be interesting.
Myownperson
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Gone with the wind
Currently Reading: The best laid plans and journey
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Myownperson »

It makes me feel like an idiot to confess because I love classics but I can't seem to be able to read "To Kill a Mockingbird". It has proven to be such a hard read that the first few sentences took me an hour to comprehend. Also, "Cobra" by Frederick Forsyth turned me off after a couple of pages.

-- 19 May 2013, 11:45 --

It makes me feel like an idiot to confess because I love classics but I can't seem to be able to read "To Kill a Mockingbird". It has proven to be such a hard read that the first few sentences took me an hour to comprehend. Also, "Cobra" by Frederick Forsyth turned me off after a couple of pages.
lady_charlie

Post by lady_charlie »

Myownperson wrote:It makes me feel like an idiot to confess because I love classics but I can't seem to be able to read "To Kill a Mockingbird". It has proven to be such a hard read that the first few sentences took me an hour to comprehend. Also, "Cobra" by Frederick Forsyth turned me off after a couple of pages.

-- 19 May 2013, 11:45 --

Welcome to the club.
I love the first chapter of Don Quixote. In a little town in La Mancha...but after about three adventures, I am done.
Also I get the whole LOTR thing, really.
Have you seen the video of how to make LOTR three hours shorter?
The eagles fly everyone to Mordor and they drop the thing in. Done.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I always get lost when I read Aristotle's Rhetoric. I love studying the concept of rhetoric, but there's so much substance in the topic that I find it difficult to focus on understanding everything it involves. It's much broader then I had initially thought.

I even took a college course that specifically focused on rhetoric and I still felt like the subject matter was way over my head. Truth be told, I was one of the only undergrads in a class of grad students (I remember that making me feel a bit uneasy), but still... I feel like there's no excuse to feel this challenged.

I'm determined to get a better grasp on it someday.
nickyb325

Post by nickyb325 »

There were a few books that would've been so over my head when I read them, but thankfully I read them for a college course, so that helped a ton (Catch-22 included! As well as White Noise by Don Delilo). More recently I picked up the book Bringing up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel and it was the first book in a very long time that I just didn't care if I finished it. It was wordy and blah, maybe it was different because I already knew the ending...I mean it's Anne Boleyn, people.

Along with that, I think a lot of it was timing. When I first read My Antonia by Willa Cather I did not understand why its a classic, then I re-read it in college and now it's one of my favorites!
allyzmom244

Post by allyzmom244 »

I have to admit as much as I love reading, I have true difficulty getting into James Patterson's Alex Cross novels. I have no idea why, and tried and failed many times. I love reading anything and everything yet I have to force myself to read a chapter and have yet to finish a book
shellyb
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Currently Reading: The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by shellyb »

I had a lot of trouble with Mill on the Floss when i was at school, this stuck with me and I had to challenge myself to read it again in later life which was a little easier, so I think its about time i tried again and see if the years of reading have made a difference.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Though, I have plenty of unread books on my shelf. There are two books that I just can't complete. Scarlett Letter and Billy Budd :( Both are considered great classics and yet I can hardly read beyond first few pages.

But, one book that really challenged me as a reader is War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I did finish it and even loved Tolstoy's writing prowess, but it made me humbler as I realized I hardly know anything about world history to actually enjoy the story. After struggling a lot in the beginning, I tried to educate myself about Napoleonic War and history of Russia and Austria so that I can at least make sense of those high strung events and battles, Leo kept referring to!
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
Kimpaluch
Favorite Author: C. Simak
Favorite Book: Way Station
Currently Reading: Wicked - The Lightening Thief

Post by Kimpaluch »

I was loaned a set of three books set the set is wicked and I can't get into it it's very Dull and slow and I just don't care for it, though my Sister-in-law loves it. She also loved brotherhood of the Wolves and i didn't care for that one either...too slow and uninteresting to keep me reading it.

Kim

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”