Has a book made you feel like a "reading failure/challenge"?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Re: Has a book made you feel like a "reading failure/challen

Post by Katherine E Wall »

*Hides all the stones before commenting*

I have tried and tried to get into J.K. Rowling's writing style. I made several attempts at Harry Potter, and her subsequent novels. There is just no connection for me as a reader. Which I find very strange, since I am such an eclectic reader.

Sometimes, it is just about chemistry, I guess.

*Remembers to hide the tar and feathers, as well.*
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

Personally I had a lot of trouble reading As I lay Dying, by William Faulkner. The only reason I was able to finish it was because I had to write an essay about it. But I suffered every single minute. I've been meaning to read something else by Faulkner because I don't want to leave him on that note, but I still haven't found the motivation.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html

Post by Katherine E Wall »

roguexunited wrote:Personally I had a lot of trouble reading As I lay Dying, by William Faulkner. The only reason I was able to finish it was because I had to write an essay about it. But I suffered every single minute. I've been meaning to read something else by Faulkner because I don't want to leave him on that note, but I still haven't found the motivation.
I had love/hate relationship with As I Lay Dying. Reading it can be a chore, and yet when you really experience it, there is a different relationship. I guess it is like the relationships I found most difficult, the ones I had to work at, turned out to be the most rewarding in the long run.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Swiss Guardsmen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiss-guardsmen.html

Post by Swiss Guardsmen »

Pope Emiritus Benidict's, Jesus the Nazarene was beautiful but so complex
sickwithsin
Favorite Author: Walter Moers
Favorite Book: The City of Dreaming Books
fav_author_id: 4289

Post by sickwithsin »

Took me almost five years to get through LotR. I love the movies, but reading the book felt like a chore.
Swiss Guardsmen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiss-guardsmen.html

Post by Swiss Guardsmen »

That can be uncomfortable when someone close likes a book very much and they loan it to you and you hate it! Tough times. ;)
Ravenmount
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 16854">The Glass Bead Game</a>
Currently Reading: Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenmount.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by Ravenmount »

Nikos Kazantzakis' The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel was awful for me. It took me a month to read it because every other paragraph I was nodding off from sheer boredom. His language was pretty enough, but the story was impossible to follow, and it was of course an epic poem, not straight prose, and VERY long. I celebrated with a bottle of wine when I reached the last page, even though I had to skim whole sections to get through it.
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
MamaTheNurse

Post by MamaTheNurse »

I usually give a book a reeeaaaalllly good try before I tap out but I couldn't even give that much effort to Middlemarch by George Eliot - it put me to sleep too easily - blahhhhhhh.........
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I use to feel like that all the time. Then I realized that my time is precious and their are so many books out their to explore - if a book is unable to catch your attention and draw you in even after you painfully continued to read - then it's the author's fault and not yours. Read what you enjoy not what you feel obligated to read.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Yes. Great Expectations, because the beginning was so boring that I would fall asleep, and it frustrated me that I couldn't read it because of that, I felt like a failure.
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

I'd really like to read some more Stephen King books, but I just can't bring myself to do so. I've only read one- Misery.
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”