The Mortal Instuments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brooklynegan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Re: The Mortal Instuments

Post by brooklynegan »

I am up to the 5th book in The Moral Instruments series and I'm loving it! I first discovered Cassandra Clare's writing when I received The Infernal Devices trilogy as a gift. Although I prefer that trilogy to TMI, it's still a great series. If you don't fall in love with City of Bones or City of Ashes just keep reading because City of Glass will blow your mind away! Cassandra Clare has done an amazing job and she know what her readers want. I rate the series 4/5 stars even though I haven't completed it because I know it's going to be awesome!
Mireillevl

Post by Mireillevl »

I need your advice,
I can't choice between starting to read the Mortal Instruments series or the Infernal Devices trilogy, what do you recommend?
SunniSkys

Post by SunniSkys »

Mireillevl wrote:I need your advice,
I can't choice between starting to read the Mortal Instruments series or the Infernal Devices trilogy, what do you recommend?
I recommend starting with the Infernal Devices trilogy (and not just because it has less books haha :lol: ). I have read the first three books of the Mortal Instruments, and am still struggling to finish the fourth. The story line of the Infernal Devices trilogy is much better than the Mortal Instruments, in my opinion. Also, some of the characters you see in the Infernal Devices will reappear in the Mortal Instruments so you would know a bit more about their backgrounds and see where they two series connect.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I did enjoy the first one very much but sort of lost interest after that.

We did see the movie, I thought it was pretty good.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I read The Infernal Devices trilogy first and then The Mortal Instruments series. I enjoyed all of them. I haven't seen the movie yet.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

I read this series on the recommendation of a friend, but since we have different book tastes I was reluctant to read it. However once I did, I couldn't stop reading. I think I read the whole City of Bones book in one sitting. It was amazing, Cassandra Clare really knows how to pull people into a book. The character's were so life like, the plot mysterious and starts off with tons of action and suspense.

When Clary enters Pandemonium with her best friend Simon she does not expect to see three people trying to kill a boy. Three people who nobody can see but her. After talking to these strange people covered in runes she soon discovers that they are shadow hunters and the boy is in fact a demon. The demon pleads that they spare him and reveals that person named Valentine is alive....Valentine who is supposed to have died years ago. The hunters do not believe him and kills him. They then tell Clary that she should not be able to see them because only someone with the blood of a shadow hunter can see another shadow hunter.

So when Clary leaves Pandemonium she never expects to encounter the shadow hunters again. But once a demon attacks her and she is saved by Jace, her mother is found in a coma and she goes to the institute. She soon discovers that the world she lives in is a lot darker than she could ever imagine, and all the stories are true.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I can tell this original post was written long before now, but I felt it worth commenting on in case anyone else was interested (and didn't read the previous thousand posts). I have read the entire series. As with most of my recent book choices, this was driven by enjoying the movie and later finding out it was a book (and subsequently a series). I immediately loved the first book because it was sooooo much better than the movie and I completely understood why the movie did not become a series as well. If you deviate from a book that much book fans won't want to watch more! Any who, I was hooked, so I continued reading the series. Honestly, I enjoyed the storyline and the ideas. Not being a religious person myself I found all the connections to Bible interesting. (In fact I learned that the song I sing to my son every night is actually derived from a part of the Bible). My biggest thumbs down for this series would be its predictability. In the first book I attributed my correct predictions to the fact that I had seen the movie and therefore knew what was going to happen. After that, however, the "twists" were just too predictable. Someone makes a comment in chapter 3 and then all of the sudden in chapter 10 that comment becomes an important turning point in the story (that you totally saw coming if you were being an active reader). This made the books a bit anticlimactic for me. I like books that leave you guessing; you think your prediction is correct and then BAM! you're wrong. These books are most definitely not like that. Aside from that, I am a fan of the books and think they are worth the time to read if you are into vampire/werewolf/fairy/angel/demon fantasy novels.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

The series wasn't terrible, but I did have one rather large bone to pick with it.

In any romance, there have to be obstacles to keep the two romantic leads apart. The better those obstacles are, the better the romance.

Romeo and Juliet's families hated each other. Delilah was actively betraying Sampson. And so on.

The obstacle in the Mortal Instruments Series between the two romantic leads is that they "think" they're brother and sister.

It was just really really really stupid.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Duplicated topic

The Mortal Instruments
Pronouns: She/Her