Scandinavian Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Scandinavian Series

Post by Maud Fitch »

I’m aiming for a bit of cultural diversity in my reading and have almost finished “Last Will” by Liza Marklund.
Currently Marklund is Scandinavia's most successful female crime writer. She lives in Stockholm Sweden and is an author, journalist and goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.

“Last Will” is the sixth instalment of her internationally bestselling series featuring investigative reporter Annika Bengtzon. These Annika Bengtzon thrillers have sold millions of copies in 30 languages world-wide. In “Last Will” sometimes different ideas are lost in translation. I'm sure to have missed clues! There’s reliance on scientific and government facts and figures (her career showing?) and features real life characters like Alfred Nobel of Nobel Peace Prize fame but there's a nice juxtapositon between intense work and crumbling family life - the dinner party chapter will either make the reader cringe or see it as a real hoot. Towards the end I’m holding my breath as this book screams along. Be warned, nasty deaths and animal cruelty therein.

Apparently the TV production company Yellow Bird bought the rights to adapt six Annika Bengtzon novels for the screen and they were released on DVD in 2012. Two of her books “The Bomber” and “Paradise” have been filmed in Swedish by the English director Colin Nutley. Perhaps Marklund's best known novel is “Red Wolf” and she co-wrote “Postcard Killers” with James Patterson.

Without mentioning the eponymous Stieg Larsson or Peter Høeg, has anyone read any series by Nordic authors?

Camilla Läckberg - Patrik Hedstrom series
Håkan Nesser - Inspector Van Veeteren series
Jo Nesbø - Harry Hole series
Åsa Larsson - Rebecka Martinsson series
Kjell Eriksson - Ann Lindell series
Henning Mankell - Kurt Wallander series
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”