Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
StephenKingman wrote:I might put this one on my TBR list as i dont usually read vampire novels and i saw the original Swedish movie recently and it was quite good..
Mike I think you are thinking of a different book ... there are definitely no vampires in Never Let Me Go. It is IMO a great book but I am a great fan of Kazuo Ishiguro. I know the movie is on release but I would strongly recommend reading the book before you watch the film but without spoiling it I can't tell you why ..... suffice it to say the theme is original, thought provoking & indeed scary.
Ah, good one Fran, i actually saw the movie "Let the right one in" which is about a vampire girl, oh well close enough! :D
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:
Fran wrote:
StephenKingman wrote:I might put this one on my TBR list as i dont usually read vampire novels and i saw the original Swedish movie recently and it was quite good..
Mike I think you are thinking of a different book ... there are definitely no vampires in Never Let Me Go. It is IMO a great book but I am a great fan of Kazuo Ishiguro. I know the movie is on release but I would strongly recommend reading the book before you watch the film but without spoiling it I can't tell you why ..... suffice it to say the theme is original, thought provoking & indeed scary.
Ah, good one Fran, i actually saw the movie "Let the right one in" which is about a vampire girl, oh well close enough! :D
I think you would like 'Never Let Me Go' ... honestly
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Tell me more Fran, i saw the word scary and thought provoking so thats my bread and butter :shock:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Tell me more Fran, i saw the word scary and thought provoking so thats my bread and butter :shock:

It would not be 'horror' genre but a scary, thought provoking view of where science may be taking the human race & what kind of developments may well become 'acceptable' in the future ... saying no more - read the book
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Thanks for the synopsis ill check that out, sounds very interesting 8)
Tarp

Post by Tarp »

Oh, come on StephenKingMan. You knew about the Encounter at North Road House post being a post to help carry this book along. You even liked the book and gave a great review and decided you would leave the post up.

Take a look at how much traffic we have brought to that post - 22,203 views. Please reconsider at least making it a sticky post. Your assistance is very much appreciated. We worked very hard to draw traffic to that post. Come on now...have a heart... :roll:
AMR84

Post by AMR84 »

This book was written in such an exquisite way that it really surprised me how it contrasts with its dark and sad theme. It's an extraordinaire combination that makes you look at sci-fi with a different approach.
hnparks

Post by hnparks »

Never Let Me Go was introduced to me in a high school project for and English class, my teacher described in as "a dystopian novel with an ending a little like 1984." It takes place in England going through the journey of Kathy and her friends Tommy and Ruth as they grow up together, but something isn't quite right about these students. They are not human, but clones of real humans. They are mean for only one purpose, organ donations, but as Kathy gets older she dreams of living a little longer, and finding out why the school and teachers she loved so much kept so many secrets from her and her purpose. It's a story that takes you many places, fallowing Kathy's memories as she pieces together her purpose while experiencing love, hope, and disappointment. The writing tends to escape into many directions, where she will be talking about one topic and stray off to another memory, and then after two or three pages come back to the first topic with explanation of why it's important. My peers who were reading this with me, who did not read unless it was required, thought that the topic change didn't make sense and ruined the plot and that there was no action in the story, that made it boring. It has an ambiguous ending, where unlike a series like the Hunger games, there is no great war where good wins over evil and it all works out for the good of the main character. It's ending is peaceful, the character accepting fate and finding happiness in the future set out for her. I think it's an ending only reader with an appreciation for literature can really enjoy, as I found the rest of my peers disappointed by it as they did by the rest of the book. To me, then ending was well written and thoughtful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a though provoking and eye grabbing novel, that takes pleasure in the small details and a plot that focuses more on character development then it does action.
Overall, Never Let Me Go is a book I would recommend to any book lover, who wants something thought provoking and pleasurable, and I would suggest putting it onto your must read list.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I loved Never Let Me Go. It is a brilliant novel. I only wish I had not seen the movie first. The big reveal of what is really going on at the school is amazing. The movie is great too. I also loved the film version of Remains of the Day, but I haven’t been able to get into the novel. It’s still sitting on my TBR shelf and I am going to make myself finish it one of these days. I think the reason the students never ran away from the school is because they didn’t know that their lives were not normal. Also, I wonder if, certain rebellious traits may have been bred out of them. They were curious but not driven to live a life of their own. The book is sci-if written like literary fiction. Similar to magical-realism, maybe this could be called something like speculative-realism.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”