Official Review: From Feast to Famine by Butros Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
capucine
Favorite Author: Reading Dostoevsky
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov and King Lear
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capucine.html
Latest Review: "Peonies for Breakfast" by Trinaa Mukherjee

Official Review: From Feast to Famine by Butros Hanna

Post by capucine »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FROM FEAST TO FAMINE" by Butros HANNA.]

From Feast to Famine is a family saga written by Butros Hanna.

It is a well-written work which encapsulates the lives of upper-class Egyptians from the early 1920's through the military coup in the early 1950’s which saw Nasser’s installation as dictator, and beyond. It traces the tumultous political history of Egypt through revolution, land reform and war. From Feast to Famine is an account of Egyptian history told through the saga of the Wahba family, as the ever-changing politics of Egypt throughout the 20th century test the family's perseverance as their fortunes, materially and otherwise, dwindle. The narrative centers around the life of the Wahba family patriarch, Farid, from his marriage to Jeannette, and through the lives of his children, with special emphasis placed on Yousef (otherwise known as Joseph), who is the protagonist of the second half of the book.

Besides the immensely interesting history, Hanna provides cultural insight as well, detailing Coptic as well as Muslim traditions. For those interested in history and exploring foreign cultures from a personal perspective, From Feast to Famine is a good fit. Each chapter explores different members of the Wahba family, using anecdotes or vignettes to document the lives of the Wahba family, rather than strictly obeying chronological order. While this makes the story a bit more complicated to follow, as the chapters tend to overlap each other with respect to chronology, I don't see how the book could have been written any other way. The shorter vignettes also make the book a very enjoyable read, far preferable and far more insightful than reading a dry, impersonal history of 20th century Egypt.

It was clear that the narrator had mixed emotions regarding the Europeanizaton of Egypt. Rather than regarding Europeanized Egyptians with disdain, the narrator employed gentle mockery over sententious reproach. "He was an Old Victorian, as those who had been to Victoria College liked to call themselves in their relentless effort to imitate British customs."

I give it 3 out of 4 stars, deducting one star because there are a number of typographical errors.

Buy "FROM FEAST TO FAMINE" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Peonies for Breakfast" by Trinaa Mukherjee
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your informative review. I don't really know much about Egypt and this seems like a great book to learn about a different culture and the history of this country. Too bad about the errors, however, I'm glad that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The fact that each chapter is about a different person interests me. However, historical rarely tempt me, but who knows?
Thank you for the review :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good book for those interested in exploring foreign cultures. Too bad about the typographical errors.

Well done on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the book! Wish it was edited better though! Thank You for the well written review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The subject matter seems interesting. It sounds like an extra round of editing would improve the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a very informative book. I don't know much about Egypt and I definitely feel like I could learn a lot from reading this. Good job on the review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Vulgate
Currently Reading: Conceived Without Sin (Pierced by a Sword #2)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vulgate.html

Post by Vulgate »

It's always interesting reading about changes occurring in a nation. Well written review!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Wow this sounds like a really good way to learn about the history of this time and place in the world; thank you for the review! Adding it to my list... :techie-studyingbrown:
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

This sounds like an interesting saga of a family! Great review! I have added it to my TBR stack!
gnblackmanjr
Currently Reading: Preaching As Local Theology and Folk Art
Bookshelf Size: 379

Post by gnblackmanjr »

Thanks for the review--I enjoy historical fiction, particularly when it is on a subject about which I need to learn more. Thanks for piquing my interest!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

The review above is based on a PDF copy from 2013.

I just downloaded the live production version from Kindle (which would be mobi format not PDF). It appears to me to be formatted incorrectly. Namely, the font-size jumps from bigger to smaller. :(

I would never read a book with this kind formatting problem, and I would hope a reviewer would rate a book with such serious errors as 1 star if they did choose to even finish reading it.

This is a shame because the book is being featured as Book of the Day today. If I had noticed that error before today, I would have cancelled it being Book of the Day.

The book is temporarily free, though, for Book of the Day. Free might still be a good deal if the formatting will be fixed. My suggestion is to get this book while it is free, but wait to read it until the publisher fixes the formatting. Your free Kindle copy should automatically update when it is fixed.

With that said, the fact that the publisher didn't notice this mistake before making it live or at least before now is very alarming. So even though that's fixed, it makes one wonder about the overall quality of the publisher and of the book. :/
Attachments
Screenshot (231).png
Screenshot (231).png (229.23 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gnblackmanjr
Currently Reading: Preaching As Local Theology and Folk Art
Bookshelf Size: 379

Post by gnblackmanjr »

Thanks for the heads up on the formatting issue, Scott!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I liked the review and the preview. Even though with the font changes the story was still interesting.
Vermont Reviews

P.S. Don't worry Scott the font changes are really not that important.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:The review above is based on a PDF copy from 2013.

I just downloaded the live production version from Kindle (which would be mobi format not PDF). It appears to me to be formatted incorrectly. Namely, the font-size jumps from bigger to smaller. :(

I would never read a book with this kind formatting problem, and I would hope a reviewer would rate a book with such serious errors as 1 star if they did choose to even finish reading it.

This is a shame because the book is being featured as Book of the Day today. If I had noticed that error before today, I would have cancelled it being Book of the Day.

The book is temporarily free, though, for Book of the Day. Free might still be a good deal if the formatting will be fixed. My suggestion is to get this book while it is free, but wait to read it until the publisher fixes the formatting. Your free Kindle copy should automatically update when it is fixed.

With that said, the fact that the publisher didn't notice this mistake before making it live or at least before now is very alarming. So even though that's fixed, it makes one wonder about the overall quality of the publisher and of the book. :/
I thought at first it was intentional, but it didn't really bother me.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”