The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
carter1990
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carter1990.html

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT

Post by carter1990 »

This is an open response I presented in my college literature class.....

In "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Hildegarde asks "But just think of how it would be if everyone else looked at things as you do - what would the world be like?" How DOES he (Fitzgerald) look at the world? Give examples from the text. What do you think Fitzgerald thinks the end result would be if people were more like Benjamin?

To me Benjamin button’s physical appearance represents a way of thinking, a way of being. Fitzgerald was trying to open people up to the possibility of looking at things differently, specifically aging and life. Benjamin was growing himself through his own perceptions. Benjamin Button shouldn't exist but he does. It is his outlook on life that really makes him peculiar. Strange beyond the norms of the way things are supposed to be. Benjamin’s appearance affects his outlook on life and how others perceive him. Instead of getting older physically he gets younger. He is born already with a high level intelligence. To me the story is trying to point out that we age not from our physical bodies but from our minds. "But just think of how it would be if everyone else looked at things as you do - what would the world be like?" Hildegarde is pointing out if everyone thought like Benjamin the world would be drastically different. I remember in the movie “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” when he is born although he is the size of a baby he looks like an old man. He was forced to sit in a rocking chair with all the old people. Although this didn't happen in the story as Benjamin was born 5’8 the message is still the same, his appearance dictated what others could tell him to do. In the story Benjamin’s father wanted him to use toys but Benjamin didn't see the necessity. I think in certain ways Benjamin’s thought process resembled those of society. His appearance dictated his thought process. I saw instances of pessimism in Benjamin but I also found instances of optimism. When Benjamin was born the doctor made a statement that represents how a good percentage of people looked at Benjamin,

"Is the child born?" begged Mr. Button
"Why, yes, I suppose so—after a fashion."

He is already judging Benjamin. To be honest it is kind of frightening seeing a full grown man birthed. I would probably pass out if that ever happened. I remember watching an old twilight zone episode where two doctors are pulling bandages off and they proceed to grimace at the faces once the bandages come off. It turns out that the doctors were disfigured and the bandaged people looked normal. It could be a matter of what I deem normal but I feel this episode relates to a theme Fitzgerald is presenting to use a commonly used quote “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

"I'm not going to argue with you," she retorted. "But there's a right
way of doing things and a wrong way. If you've made up your mind to
be different from everybody else, I don't suppose I can stop you, but I
really don't think it's very considerate."
"But, Hildegarde, I can't help it."
"You can too. You're simply stubborn. You think you don't want to be
like any one else. You always have been that way, and you always will
be. But just think how it would be if every one else looked at things as
you do—what would the world be like?

Benjamin is being told to conform but he expresses he can’t help it.
I would like to connect with you please message me so we can discuss different books :)
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

A pleasant analysis of Fitzgerald's story, carter1900. I really liked the concept, and Fitzgerald has a real talent with imagery and dialogue, doesn't he? A rare writer he was. Have you ever read his short story, "Bernice Bobs Her Hair?" Another great sample of the Fitzgerald genius.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”