Review of: Deams of Gold by Jonathan Chamberlain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hortonreader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hortonreader.html
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain

Review of: Deams of Gold by Jonathan Chamberlain

Post by Hortonreader »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain.]
Book Cover for 9780954596040
Share This Review

This novel was published January 2nd 2012 by Long Island Press.

With the London Olympic Games only six weeks away Tibetian monks are peacfully demonstrating outside Westminster Abbey. It turns out that not only the monks but many nations are disgruntled over the way the games are handled and who is allowed to participate. The Olympic committee decides to hire an official poet (Rowan Jones) of the games to try and distract from the protest coverage. Regrettably, this plan fails when Rowan's opening poem naively calls for the denationalization of the games.

First, one of the most appealing aspects of this novel for me was the character development. They were well developed and you immediately understand their little quirks and character traits. I do not usually read sports books but this is definitely more of a character driven book that I found myself getting involved in pretty quickly. Despite all the characters (and there are a lot of them) it is never confusing and it is obvious who is who. In fact, I found myself curious as to what the background stories would be like for most of the characters.

Second, the author's humor infused storytelling reads like a movie script. The short chapters kept the pace along with the descriptive lead in's to move the reader's focus forward.

Lastly, the plot for me was a little of the mark. At times throughout the book I tried to figure out when it would pick back up, but for the most part was content with the underlying humor and character involvement. In the end the author pulled it all together for a very nice read.

I rate Dreams of Gold book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Dreams of Gold" on Amazon
Buy "Dreams of Gold" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”