Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Post by DennisK »

I have just loaded this book in my Ipad and its movie in my Netflix queue. I stopped reading everyone's comments until I get the chance to read the book, but from what I've already read, it seems like it deals with things I've been thinking about, and that is the many faces of slavery. I really wonder how much of a difference the lives of Rome's slaves compare to today's person who is, “working for the man”. Could be I am building an expectation that isn't in the book, but I'll find out soon, as it is my next read.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

DennisK,

Wow! It has been a very long time since anyone posted to this thread. Cloud Atlas will require patience since its architecture is very different from what most of us have come to expect in a novel but it works somehow. The key is simply to go with the flow and trust that all your questions will be answered in due time.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks DATo, I'm looking forward to reading it. We have a December read of those books that have been made into a movie, and I found this one listed on a website. It seemed intriguing to me, what with the chapter ending mid-sentence, its use of a birthmark, etc. It didn't occur to me to see if it had already been dealt with in this forum, but then I found your great review which captured my interest even more. I'm almost done with my current book; so I'll be picking this one up soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”