Catcher in the rye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShayleneK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Catcher in the rye

Post by ShayleneK »

The Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that you either love or hate. Either you like Holden and can identify with his troubled, angst filled, Peter Pan Syndrome self, or you just want to tell him to get over it already. Holden is a typical teenager who just simply doesn't want to grow up, although his life and lack of a desire to grow up and become an adult is complicated by some family troubles and tragedies. The novel is told from Holden's perspective as he is in a place where he can "rest" after he "got pretty run down and had to come out here and take it easy"; so we always have to take what Holden says with a grain of salt, as he is given to hyperbole and delusional fantasies. However, at the heart of it all is a young kid who doesn't want to grow up thrown into the "real" adult world of NYC who has to learn to face the reality of life and growing up in the 1950s.
Qew
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qew.html

Post by Qew »

I like how everyone seems to be agreeing wholeheartedly about this book, and I do too but there is one thing that has always bugged me about it.

It manages to capture a certain type of teenage boy very well, (which from personal experience would only cover a minority of them). But then does anyone else feel it glorifies it a little too much? Could you say it even encourages it? The John Lennon murder, as was mentioned before, as an example.

I just didn't feel Holden was put in as critical a light as he should have been.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I think your reaction to this book depends on when you read it. I read it back when I was in college and I loved the plot and adored Holden. I read it again when I was in late 30s, did not like it that much. To the point that Holden just seemed like a total brat to me. Admittedly, it still made me laugh.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
CRAIGSTER888
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by CRAIGSTER888 »

I must admit that this book got me thinking, sometimes constantly, trying to understand it, then less frequently, how much I loved it, now occasionally, how I must read it again.
I've noticed a few posts discussing the book, regarding at what age is CITR more effective to read. I disagree strongly with any answer to that......as I first read it as a thirty year old, and still got it, got Holden I mean, just a crazy little mixed up kid, who adores his wee sister, and has trouble with authority, not just his parents...Haha... He's a delightful character, one whose perceptions of life around him, resonate rather falsely with him. But it's not to say everything around him. His innocence is portrayed so well, his love of life, albeit, well hidden, is another huge plus which makes this book, and deservedly so, one of the best ever written. Another of Salinger's I would recommend for all you thinkers out there would be Raise High The Roof Beam, Carpenter. And I'd love to hear what anyone thinks of it......Regards and Best Wishes....x
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I read this book a while ago and I struggled at the beginning of the book, I didn't understand what all the hype was about. But after finishing the book I could finally understand why teenagers still read it in school.
I read the book when I was a teenager and I could relate to a lot of the aspects of the book so maybe that is where the magic lies, you have to be able to relate in order to fully appreciate the story. Otherwise the book just seems mundane.
ezio007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ezio007 »

So finally, here's my review for this interesting young adult novel! I assume you've read it (if not, it's okay i won't stick to plot)
First of all, it's deep. Yes, I'm surely convinced, it goes deep. It is really important to know that the things Holden (say, the protagonist) feels are manifested in one way or the other to us in our teenage years. It's really brave, witty & young of him doing all that. This is kind of an autobiographical account of a kid with an unreliable character, fueled with courage, self reliance, curiosity & thoughts to explore the purpose of his existence in this world.
Secondly, He's often seen in a conflict between innocence & experience. There are many forms of Holden we see in the novel, the one who was present there at the place & time, the one who's reviewing & giving it his own critical thoughts, the one who's judging people's actions, & the one who's narrating it all to us. It's essential to believe him here, he's ofcourse being honest with what all he thinks.
Thirdly, now it's time to think of what all the theme tells about : Pencey, horel, woman, bed, cab, ducks, Phoebe, red hunting hat, phony, snobby, snappy, dopey...
Well what i see here is the story of a kid, kicked out if Pencey, is losing control of himself, trying to be independent, trying to discover & prove his point, trying to earn a respect & attention, who's alone, afraid, scared, ignorant (in some ways), critical, firm but after all, a kid. He's still a kid. He fits well with kids, loves kids & their opinions. Enjoys playing with them & admires little things kids do. He's aware but still ignorant about himself. He thinks he's matured enough but a part of him still wants his childhood, misses it. His younger sister is constantly there for him, she's friendly and all with him & that's what gives Holden some belief & power. He's still dissatisfied, critical & disapproves certain things people do. He wants to remain original & it's nice of him.
Author JD Salinger has symbolically used Holden at places where people appear all fancy & fake. Holden has been represented the one who silently gives his critical thoughts & conclusions to people's actions, movies & all phony stuff they do.
Fourth, he's awkward with people & this is because his lack of interaction with the world, lack of some self confidence & most importantly lack of true friends. He finds trouble with the negativities around him. He feels happy & contented with Phoebe & those two nuns. He feels nervous & very feeble when that prostitute & all things happen. He's not used to all this & wants to find peace from this world. He realises his limitations, the things which doesn't look good or hold true for him, that he shouldn't be spotted at this place at this time & all, that this drink is better fir him & this voice & dialect sounds good for him.
Fifth, there's a metaphor used in the title. I guess you must have noticed that if you've read & I leave this to you. Also, this red hunting cap of Allie is also special. It's like that protective shield for Holden. He misses his brother & still wants to remember him. Wants to believe that he's still there with him & not lost. He puts it on when he's not feeling good abouth sth, feeling depressed & wants that pleasant shower of his memories with Allie to come way into him & to give him some seclusion & stillness.
That's all from me. I'll add to it more in furure. Keep reading!
Cheers!
:techie-studyinggray:
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Some parts of the book were relatable to me. It depicts the phases through which teenagers come across and how they cope up with them. They make decisions on impulse and these decisions does not hold that much of weightage. The book describes the way with which a teenager handles different situations in their life and may be it is helpful to all age groups as it helps to understand teenagers, who are most misunderstood.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Ckollwitz1
Currently Reading:

Post by Ckollwitz1 »

Growing up, this book was my favorite. I believe it is, because I can relate to the main character on how hard life really is. I come from a troubled past, and life was never easy. It was interesting to watch how the book evolves and changes as the story goes on.
belholl98

Post by belholl98 »

For me, Catcher in the Rye demonstrates the sinking gap between adolescence and adulthood. Its something I have experienced as I emerge out of teenage years into the adult world. Fragility and vulnerability are themes which carry through this novel. I enjoy CITR as an easy to read piece of literature and it carries me along throughout the story at an agreeable pace. I understand it is not everybody's cup of tea, however I do find some elements of the text somewhat relatable. Also, when I purchased the book, the book shop owner gave me a poster for free so I think that might also add to its appeal in my bookshelf :D
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I read this book as a teenager and still didn't like it. I couldn't relate to the main characters point of view and many years on I don't really remember anything about it except for not liking it

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”