Book Recomendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

What genres do you like?

Fantasy
25%
Romance
8%
Mystery
8%
Gothic
6%
Adventure
6%
Historical Fiction
17%
Realistic Fiction
11%
Non-Fiction
19%

Total votes: 36

Drummergal42
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book Recomendations

Post by Drummergal42 »

If you have taken the time to read this post, can you please try and help me?

~I am a 14 year old girl.
~I love murder mystery books.
~I also like to read "creepy" books that involve ghost hauntings and Vampires.
~I also enjoy some teen coming of age novels.
~I also enjoy Romance, but it doesn't have to be the plot of the book
~I don't like Historical Fiction, the plot can take place in a certain time era, but the whole plot of the book can't be around one historical event.
~I'm not really into any magic.
~I like books that have crime
~Adventure is good
~Some sad books are ok once in a while
~I am a pretty advanced reader I can comprehend alot of book.
~I do not care how thick a book is as long as I enjoy it.
~I have been to my library many times to look for books, but I have read all the books in my genre intrest.
I like:
The Christoper Killer by Alane Ferguson
Angel of Death by Alane Ferguson
Vampire Diaries Series by L.J. Smith
The Intruders by E.E. Richardson
The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot
1-800-WHERERU Series by Meg Cabot
Basically all of Meg Cabots books except Princess Diaries
Peeps by Scott Westerfield
The Author Joan Lowry Nixon
Whatever Happened to Cass McBride by ???
ect.

I don't like:
Gossip Girl Series
The Click Series

I've listed all the things I like in books, but I am open to any suggestions on a book that someone really enjoyed

Thanks Abunch! :D
Last edited by Drummergal42 on 11 Apr 2008, 16:20, edited 17 times in total.
MsBookworm

Post by MsBookworm »

If you like mysteries, I can reccoment Maisie Dobbs (it's a series, but I don't think you have to read them in any particular order). It's not a creepy mystery, but it takes place in England and has flashbacks to WW1 (I believe-I may be mistaken), and is a great book to curl up with.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I think even though they've been around for quite sometime the Nancy Drew series is always pretty fun to read. I mean they can be a bit tamed but still fun to read none the less :wink: I also suggest you browse a bit, there are so many good "creepy" books. If you were older you could always try Stephen King, haha. I'm sure none of this helps but heyyyy what the heck right?? Be good sweet pea :D
awelker

Post by awelker »

since you like vampires i am going to reccomend the twilight series by stephenie meyer. they are excellent books, and the first one is going to be turned into a movie this year. i am really afraid to see how it is going to turn out and whether it is going to kill the book.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Erasmus_Folly

Post by Erasmus_Folly »

For a good mystery and an introduction to her work I would recommend An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James, about a young woman who inherits a detective agency.
One must think like a hero merely to behave like a decent human being.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Start with Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. I first read that one (and then the rest of the series) when I was in my teens and I swear, I was hyperventilating they were so exciting. I have read them several times since.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Libellus

Post by Libellus »

Hi there. Would agree PD James and Stephen King are good
Also Bram Stoker's Dracula and anything by Anthony Horowitz or Darren Shan ....and I believe there is a seven book series about a boy wizzard that have proved quite popular - except you say you dont like magic!
The usual suspects Bronte(s)/Austen/Dickens/Conan Doyle/Poe
Wilde's Dorian Gray, and for fun ... Douglas Adams Hitchhiiker series, Spike Milligan's Puckoon (maybe dated now) and Joseph Heller's Catch 22 .... Happy Reading
Drummergal42

Post by Drummergal42 »

thanks for all the recommendations they all look great, I am looking into them. Anything else would be great!
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

blue_diamond21 wrote:I personally love the books Nightjohn and Sarny by Gary Paulsen. I read them when I was about 12/13 and still love them. They are both about a slave girl called Sarny with the first following her lifer on a viscious cotton plantation as a child and the second following her search for her family after the plantation is destroyed during a battle between the north and south. They were my first attempt at reading more 'grown up' literature and they are great
Posted this on another thread then came across yours! They both meet your criteria though Sarny is a bit more adult than Nightjohn
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Richv1

Post by Richv1 »

Bram Stoker's Lair of the White Worm.
Brenna Erin

Post by Brenna Erin »

The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce

make sure you read them in order: "The Darkangel" is first. Female protagonist, great characters, imaginative, love story, great plots, vampires, it doesn't get any better. I absolutely loved them.
rosesarered89

Post by rosesarered89 »

Hey girl, I like a lot of the books you do!

I'm into the murder mystery/horror ones.

If you're not afraid of some gore and sort of morbid descriptions, try some books by Thomas Harris- The Silence of the Lambs, is my favorite. Also try Black Sunday, Hannibal, Hannibal Rising, and Red Dragon.

Also try The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. The movie was good, but the book is 100x better!
Ribaldo

Post by Ribaldo »

You should go and get yourself a copy of The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan quite quickly, so as to set yourself free.
When tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle-beetle-puddle-paddle-battle. ~ Dr. Seuss
j2page1

Post by j2page1 »

If you want something that is a little mystery, mostly comedy and some romance the "Stephanie Plum" Series (starting with One of the Money) by Janet Evanovich is a good read. Not very complicated or dark, but entertaining. Also, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is really good if you're looking for something a little darker.
Gypsy72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsy72.html

Post by Gypsy72 »

sleepydumpling wrote:Start with Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. I first read that one (and then the rest of the series) when I was in my teens and I swear, I was hyperventilating they were so exciting. I have read them several times since.
I agree here, that Marsden's series would be appreciated by you. He also has written a follow on series called the Ellie series. The Ellie series is the story of rebuilding life after their war. 10 books all up should keep you occupied for a little while :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”