A Visit from the Goon Squad - J. Egan (possible spoilers?)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannon145
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Visit from the Goon Squad - J. Egan (possible spoilers?)

Post by shannon145 »

So I have just finished reading Jennifer Egan´s A Visit from the Goon Squad and I have a few mixed feelings on it. The book won a few awards which was one of the reasons I chose the book, and got my expectations set very high. The book in general was great, brilliantly written since it skips around and each part is interesting. My problem is towards the end of the book.. I started getting lost. And worse, the ending confused me. I may have to pay better attention next time. Meaning- it may have been my fault that I didnt understand the ending. I just felt like all things didnt get tied together..
Sincerely,
Shannon
cgw

Post by cgw »

I read it recently. It is almost like a bunch of short stories that tie togther. I don't think the main character of a chapter was repeated (maybe once or twice). The time line skips around present, past, and future towards the end. It sort of ties up but never from the point of view you expect from previous chapters.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

There's another thread regarding "A Visit From The Goon Squad" and from memory I've already posted a review.
Just for the record, I'd like to say the book lacked any form of sincerity for me; the characters are cardboard cutouts, there are no memorable moments or thought-provoking prose and the only shining light is New York City itself.
If pressed, I'd give it an extra half-star for the creative post-modern layout of Chapter 12.

(PS: I think the ending was meant to be an ooh-aah reveal but it fell flat for me)
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Duplicated topic
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.