Gone With the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by Megan Young »

I read this one and the sequel, two books on my top favourite list. Gone with the Wind as a movie was also amazing!
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Only the sequel was written by a different author.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Yes I know, it was really good but not quite as good as the first one.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

And took the story in a completely different direction
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loveabull »

a terrific book, I still have the paperback of it my Mom gave to me as a teen. She took me to the movie the first time when I was about twelve. A sweet tradition...I packed the book in my hospital bag for all five kids, good involved reading for labor, great to pick up for middle of the night feedings. The secret to reading as a new mom is nursing lying down, every feeding can be a reading break win-win!
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

I saw the movie recently again, and I am surprised with myself that I have not read the book yet. It sounds really good though, so I am putting it on my wish list :)
Sirisha25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirisha25.html

Post by Sirisha25 »

Gone With the Wind is clearly a classic. I read the book when I was in middle school and I was enthralled. I love the character of Scarlett O'Hara. The main thing that I disliked about the movie was that they took her eldest child out of this movie. We all who read the book know that Scarlett first marries Charles Hamilton to get back at her beloved Ashley Wilkes. After that marriage she has his son Wade Hampton Hamilton. Charles dies during the war from a sickness. To save her beloved Tara: Scarlett then marries Frank, the beau of her sister Suellen. They have Ella than Frank dies in the KKK attack. She finally marries the one man that has loved her through her previous two marriages but is blind to the fact that she doesn't really love Ashley. They have a child named Bonnie Blue. It broke my heart when he was like cheer up maybe you'll have a miscarriage. Bonnie's death is heartbreaking to watch. I hate that Rhett leaves her. I loved Rhett Butler and Ashley Wilkes is charming. I have also read the sequel called Scarlett. I have also read the other books that are considered sequels to Gone With the Wind and they are all interesting in their own way. I love the happy endings in the sequels but hate that the Scarlett movie was ruined by the changes that the director made to the story.
aaristil
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaristil.html

Post by aaristil »

This novel took me from my room to the South with Scarlett. I enjoyed the novel so much that I had to read the sequel that I came across. I am a romance novel fanatic. I love the plot and thought the novel was unpredictable which is what I love. I love novels where I must reflect on characters to better understand them and their role as that specific character. I have yet to have the pleasure to watch the film but I hope find a copy somewhere.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I never liked studying history in school but I really like reading stories about things that happened during historic events. It makes understanding the events so much easier when you can see it through the characters and what they are going through and feeling during those times. Gone With the Wind took me through those times along with the characters and brought to life the events the characters had to go through and helped me to better understand that period of history.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Shann335

Post by Shann335 »

Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite books. I cannot even guess how many times I have read it and Scarlett is one of my all time favorite characters. I love that she don't care what anyone thought during a time period where being outspoken and different would get you ostracized, not your own reality show the way it would today. Scarlett knew what she wanted and made sure to get it. I can also relate to her relationship to Rhett in someways. They are so much alike that neither one can give in, each wanting to win the upper hand and in the end they both lose.
I have read the sequel and I honestly wondered if the author had read the original book. The Scarlett in my head would not have done any of the things the character in the sequel did. I would like to believe Scarlett won Rhett back by being the strong willed, stubborn flirt she was through out Gone with the Wind, not by becoming a stalker who bombards his parents or by running away to Ireland .
lkkuehn12

Post by lkkuehn12 »

Margaret Mitchell only had one novel published during her lifetime: Gone with the Wind. Her book is thick and discusses many different themes, but the main issue throughout the text is how Scarlet is effected by her surroundings and how she changes as a person because of them. Do you believe that Scarlett changed for better or worse and can we, as readers, really answer that question without knowing how Mitchell would have described her main character after Gone with the Wind ended?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the book several times and watched the movie. It is one of my favorite books.

I didn't like the end and believe Scarlett changed for better. There was a sequel written by another author, but I didn't read it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I think that Scarlett changed for the better. I have read the book a couple of times, and have also seen the movie.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
rachellinn
Favorite Author: Vladimir Nabokov
Favorite Book: Lolita or Speak Memory
Currently Reading: Vera by Stacy Schiff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachellinn.html
fav_author_id: 2572

Post by rachellinn »

I think Scarlett changed for the better, but it was a hardened kind of better — that is, she realized how she'd changed from this carefree, spoiled girl to this honestly vicious, manipulative person who'd do anything for her land. I think this is used against her when people talk about the book, because they say she became a horrible person for not sacrificing things to her husbands or to Melanie or whomever. But she knew what she wanted from the beginning and established right away that she would stop at nothing to get it. So in that regard, I think she didn't change personality, so much as she changed her understanding of the things she'd have to do to make her own dreams come true. Or at least not fail. I hope that didn't get too rambling at the end, there, haha.
michelev
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelev.html

Post by michelev »

Gone With the Wind is my favorite book. I also read its sequel, but was not impressed with it. It didn't have the flavor ofMs. Mitchell's book, and the characters were not nearly as well developed. In GWTW, Scarlett's strength carries the entire "cast" through the horrible ravages of war. Even though she is an histrionic narcissist, she does grow up a bit at the end, but retains her selfish strength to vow to rise from the ashes and get what she wants yet again.

Return to “Classic Books”