The Last Song, Nicholas Sparks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Luthien37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luthien37.html

Re: The Last Song, Nicholas Sparks

Post by Luthien37 »

The Last Song was fairly predictable, but that is to be suspected when it comes to Nicholas Sparks. While people can say he is lame for writing the same types of stories over and over, you can look at books like this one and see that it obviously works for him because it became a movie! The Last Song was happy and sad, but that is what draws in his readers, who are usually female, and makes them want more and more when they read about a daughter with daddy issues who doesn't know he is dying.
jeg8910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeg8910.html

Post by jeg8910 »

This was a typical Sparks book. It was good and I find that his book are always somewhat interesting. I'm glad I read it.
zoomintovicky
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoomintovicky.html

Post by zoomintovicky »

I never thought I'd come to the point of saying this, but I liked the film better. I watched the film first and then bought the book with so many expectations. It turned out to be poorly written and gave me no emotions. Pity.
ToniLynnLupton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonilynnlupton.html

Post by ToniLynnLupton »

I liked this book but loved the movie more. It is his typical writing style. Have read a few more of his but it always seems that his characters die in his books :(
bookworm_by_night
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-by-night.html

Post by bookworm_by_night »

You have to read Sparks books for what they are: predictable love stories, with a little twist. You can generally foresee what will happen within the first 50 pages. Usually there's a bump in the road, but they end the way you thought. They're quick, mindless reads that are happy and sad at the same time. This one is no different! Great book to cruise through on a beach in the summer, though.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I agree. If you're a hopeless romantic you will never tire of Sparks. The last song was a nice read for me. But then again I am a hopeless romantic. I also love Nicholas Sparks, his work is somehow so wholesome, pure and relatable.

-- 24 Oct 2014, 17:05 --

I agree. If you're a hopeless romantic you will never tire of Sparks. The last song was a nice read for me. But then again I am a hopeless romantic. I also love Nicholas Sparks, his work is somehow so wholesome, pure and relatable.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

When Ronnie is forced to move from New York to North Carolina to spend the summer with her father, the last thing she expects to happen is to enjoy herself. This notion is solidified when a girl she'd thought she had befriended betrays her and gets Ronnie in trouble with the law. But then Ronnie meets Will, and everything - including Ronnie - changes. Enjoying the summer may not be as difficult as she had expected. Even her father isn't as bad as she had remembered him being three years ago, the last time she spoke to him. But then Ronnie's world is rocked once again as she uncovers a secret her father had been hiding - one that will change the family's dynamics forever.

I'd seen the movie before I read this book, but didn't remember much about it other than it had been enjoyable to watch. At times, I felt the same about this book. It didn't take long to get into, although I could never say that it captured my full attention. I did remember the news Ronnie's father was hiding from her, so I was anticipating that throughout the entire book. From the point where it was actually revealed and on, I didn't enjoy the book anymore. It was, simply put, depressing, and I just wanted to reach the end so I could move on to another, hopefully happier, novel. Yes, I understand the point of the story, the life lesson, and I did appreciate Ronnie's character evolution, but I think there must be better ways to express these without leaving the reader feeling down every time they pick up the book again.

I was hoping for a good romance between Ronnie and Will, but I didn't get that either. Everything felt too rushed, which I hate in fictional love stories. The author has as much time as needed to build up to a satisfactory relationship, but in this case, Nicholas Sparks didn't take it. There was the instant connection, which I can deal with. But then it seemed like there was no real reason for their interest, and the book took very little time to actually describe their dates or other alone time spent together. Even the break-ups, which were eventually fought past, felt empty and without reason. I was happy that the pair ended up together at the end, but I think that had more to do with someone being there for Ronnie than me actually liking them as a couple.

One thing that I did enjoy was the character development. I did not initially like Ronnie, and I don't enjoy reading about a character I don't like. However, thankfully, she changed, as did her father and Will. I felt that, since the book spanned months, the evolution felt natural and realistic. It did not detract from the original characters at all, which I also appreciated. Each character had a certain speech pattern that was recognizable, and quite different from other books I've read. Usually I can't tell one character from another just by reading their sentences; I was able to in this novel, however, which I very much enjoyed, since it lent a lifelike quality to the situations.

I can't say that I really liked this book, or would actually recommend it to anyone, but I can say that I'm glad I read it. As I said before, I did appreciate the overall message and the familial bonds that strengthened over the course of the story. I don't think I'll actively seek out any other Nicholas Sparks books though. I would give this novel a rating of three stars. The writing and characters were good, but I didn't enjoy the storyline enough to appreciate them fully. Readers who enjoy family drama, teenage rebellion, and simple love stories would enjoy this book.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

nbrinkley15 wrote:I wasn't aware that Nicholas Sparks was considered a writer of Classics. I'm sure some of his works may be considered for the honorable title sometime in the future, but for now he's just a great writer.
I was thinking the same thing, except I am not really a fan. Romance isn't really my thing.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”