Silence of the Honey Cakes, Rowan Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tommy160
Bookshelf Size: 0

Silence of the Honey Cakes, Rowan Williams

Post by tommy160 »

Hello all,

Just reading Silence of the Honey Cakes by Rowan Williams and found it somewhat confusing. if anyone has the time to discuss a few questions would be very helpful.

What is the purpose of
Williams’ text? Who are it’s audience? What other sources would a scholar need to
study? What other research could be conducted to refine our understanding of this
historical group of people?

If anyone can elaborate on these, would be a huge help...

Many Thanks
moi_papillon

Post by moi_papillon »

Is it worth reading?
Eigon
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Favorite Book: impossible to choose
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by Eigon »

I think this is my favourite of the books Rowan Williams has written - he can be a bit over-intellectual and overwhelming.
Rowan Williams is, of course, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the book is about the Desert Fathers, who were the first experimenters in how to live in Christian communities, which became the later monasteries and convents. The actual title is Silence and Honey Cakes (though I so want to read Silence of the Honey Cakes now - a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, perhaps?). It's meant to show the two different paths to "enlightenment", for want of a better word - either silence and austerity, or enjoying yourself with honey cakes. It's aimed at serious lay Christians who are interested in the early history of their faith - and the stories about the Desert Fathers and Mothers still have relevance today. I particularly like the saint who used to be a highwayman!
The Irish monks who went off to remote places like Skellig Michael were much influenced by the Desert Fathers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”