Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Post by Redlegs »

I agree with other comments here that this is a special and beautifully written book, despite its subject matter. I read it as an adult, only a few years ago and I would definitley consider reading it again, And i thought the movie with Jeremy Irons was actually quite good.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
TorpidPorpoise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TorpidPorpoise »

Huh, I must be the only person who didn't think it was that great of a book. The prose was nothing amazing, which seems like what most people laud. The most interesting thing, in my opinion, were those glimmers of Dolores's actual personality/sexuality, versus the picture that Humbert paints of "my Lolita's" personality/sexuality.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

TorpidPorpoise wrote:Huh, I must be the only person who didn't think it was that great of a book. The prose was nothing amazing, which seems like what most people laud. The most interesting thing, in my opinion, were those glimmers of Dolores's actual personality/sexuality, versus the picture that Humbert paints of "my Lolita's" personality/sexuality.
Could I suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8toD2CFlg
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

I must have read this in my teens back in the early sixties, one has to admit that a great amount of the, shall we say titillation matter, left me bereft of understanding. Since then I have been subjected to precocious females of a tender age flexing their muscles as it were with the opposite sex. I also see a great number of television programmes, with teenage girls carrying on like they were in their twenties instead of low teens. Other susceptible and, even younger girls attempting to emulate them with the manner of comporting themselves when out and about, the hair, the makeup, the clothing etc leaves the male of the species agog with trepidation. Then we get trouble and upset... !!
The entire book is fraught with guilt and embarrassment, very well written yet, awkward to read without it raising concerns for the future of our species. Another, strangely similar but different book is 'Death in Venice'. set in an earlier age, but quite possibly a more involved storyline. Who knows what other books of a similar genre there are about. One has to wonder if the author had any experience of the subject before he wrote it, or is it just a rarely written insight into the psychology of the paedophile that hits the spot perfectly by accident...?
A short while back I saw a paperback copy of this in a charity shop, the pages were well thumbed, but the picture on the cover was extremely graphic in depiction. If I witnessed a youthful female exposing herself like that I would have to declare her out of bounds......!
Morphing into a misanthrope by existence in the human(?) race.....
TorpidPorpoise

Post by TorpidPorpoise »

Fran wrote:
TorpidPorpoise wrote:Huh, I must be the only person who didn't think it was that great of a book. The prose was nothing amazing, which seems like what most people laud. The most interesting thing, in my opinion, were those glimmers of Dolores's actual personality/sexuality, versus the picture that Humbert paints of "my Lolita's" personality/sexuality.
Could I suggest ...
That was extremely interesting. I feel like I should reread it now.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

TorpidPorpoise wrote:
Fran wrote:
Could I suggest ...
That was extremely interesting. I feel like I should reread it now.
Glad you liked it, really does give a different slant on the book ... they are superb lectures and all available for free. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Salma Siddiqui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

Fran wrote:It's many years since I first read Lolita & definitely the subject matter makes for difficult reading but I agree the writing is beautiful. IMO it actually does a great service in casting light on the deluded nature of paedophilia so well exemplified by the character of Humbert Humbert. We in Ireland, as elsewhere, have been on a bit of a learning curve with regard to child abuse in the last decade of so and I think the response to Lolita would be quite different today to what it was back in 1955 when you very definitely would not have found it in any Catholic High School Library!
Much of the controversy concerning Lolita was, as is so often the case, generated by people who never bothered to read the actual book.
I love that you point of how the content is disturbing but the prose is so rich! It creates a balance that will push the reluctant reader to continue on. One controversial topic is about how some readers will blame Lolita for frustrating and enticing Humbert. Is there any blame to be placed on a young, inexperienced girl?
wrongturn88

Post by wrongturn88 »

I agree about the too much French. I had to spend much time looking up these words, but I think it adds to Humbert's character. As a frenchman, describing things in his native tongue makes them more beautiful, as if he cannot find the word for them in English. It also makes him quite pretentious in this way. His superiority may influence the way he feels about Lolita sometimes. I also agree about this book being alive! Nabokov writes so intricately about everything, really, and it creates the feeling of inhaling and exhaling each word that is written on his scandalous, dirty page.

I think his interest in nymphets is so strange and fascinating, yet he knows its wrong. Why does he do this? Does he really, truly love Lolita?
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

This book has been sitting in my TBR list for ages. I need to get to it asap. But I have so many books to read, the list is endless!
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
missjavert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjavert.html

Post by missjavert »

This will always be one of my very favorite books. I'm glad I can declare that here and not receive a suspiciously raised eyebrow in response, as is sometimes the case!

Wrongturn88, I like what you said about Humbert: "As a frenchman, describing things in his native tongue makes them more beautiful, as if he cannot find the word for them in English." I never thought about those moments that way. In musical theatre, actors are taught that characters don't just burst randomly into song and dance--one is forced to sing when their emotions are too huge to be limited by speech, and one must dance when words won't suffice at all. I like the idea of someone returning to their native tongue for similar reasons.
KaitlynXIII
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by KaitlynXIII »

I just finished this book this last Tuesday after hearing about it from several of my English teachers. Also being a huge Lana Del Rey fan, I'd read into the lyrics of "Lolita" and "Off to the Races" and was intrigued by her interest in the book. And wow...it's incredible. The subject matter doesn't disturb me as much as it might to others, but maybe that's the effect of the beautiful prose? I've never read a book so beautifully crafted as this one, which amazes me that it could accomplish that, given the subject matter.

Throughout the book, no matter how much I knew pedophilia is messed up, I couldn't help but sympathize with Humbert and his impossible love for Lolita. I'd guess that was a product of Humbert's tactful depiction of himself and his ability to conceal his vile acts to the reader. I knew all of this, and yet a part of me wanted Humbert and Lolita to work out in the end. I even loathed Quilty, even though Humbert was no better than him. I guess Humbert was the lesser of the two evils?

I suppose the one thing I disliked was the French in the book; not necessarily because it was there, but because no translation was provided, and Google Translate pretty much did nothing. -_-'
I've never read a book that has made me doubt my own personal morals and values before, or had me so undecided on the outcome of the story.

Regardless, it was fantastic, aaaand I learned a ton of new vocabulary~!
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

This novel is my first venture with Nabokov. I've read, heard lectures, and developed some thoughts on it; but no matter how someone professes how beautiful the narration is, how much sympathy one can summon for H. H., or how much of a work of art the canon deems it, people will still be deterred--even from opening to the first page--because of the contents. And I have to admit it, this book isn't for everyone. There are a bunch of tame classic novels in the canon to read. But why read Lolita?

Ever distrust a narrator as much as Humbert? Holden Caulfield perhaps can give pointers on this style. William Faulkner makes a play on narratives, especially in the case of Absalom, Absalom! where not one teller can get to the root of a man so mysterious; we take it in sounds and effects. The list goes on. But what is there to gain by this? I would argue that instead of the objective truth of a story, we receive in its stead the object truth of the narrator's psychology, as each of which have unwittingly left traces. We mix objectivity with its antithesis. Unreliable narrators are also so entertaining. Ever imagine how Lolita would have been different had Lolita told the story? Completely different...yet an interesting thought.

I also find it interesting that, perhaps, Nabokov pointed toward a question we as a society face currently. Whether or not one can separate the author from the book is a bit dated. I believe the question lies when the answer is given. What then if you happen to love Lolita?--would that make you morally wrong? For what reasons do you love it? Is it art when the subject matter goes against a vital principle we hold dear in this century, when before, as Humbert points out, occurrences of the like went by frequently? We have yet to put a ban on this book, so why are we still reading?

I'll leave it at that for now. But as an addition, I happen to enjoy this novel and am anticipating with good humor my next venture with Nabokov.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”