The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SedefOzbay
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sedefozbay.html

Re: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Post by SedefOzbay »

I believe that the book was really well-written and had a compelling story.
The book was mainly built on the psychological analysis of the main character and what she thinks. As it is uncommon to see a young girl think of herself as a burden on her family in a thoroughly thought way - as she can explain to you step by step why she thinks so - it is very interesting to read what was happening to her. Also it is always nice to see the sides of people that are not only romantic but also depressing.
I have to say the book isn’t very strongly philosophic nor does it contain much questioning as you would expect from such a high-rated novel. It does not get close to those brain-tickling books. But it also definitely isn’t just a boy-meets-girl story. So, the book being a young adult novel, it can surely be a good introduction to lead the audience to a way of less materialistic thinking.
I also want to mention that it is arguable the book is relatable to the reader, as most people wouldn't understand what it would be like to be a dying teen-ager (some might have an idea of how they perceive the world and find it finite). But I think this is one of those things made the book popular. The book is written for young adults who have an undeniable attraction to the intelligent and the impossible. This book presents us with characters that are intelligent beyond their ages (which was pointed out by a reviewer to be unrealistic which I have to agree at a level but I don't see this intelligence as an impossible thing but rather improbable) and reading about ideas - especially on death - that never occurred to the young audience is somewhat fascinating.
I have to be honest that I don’t like seeing this book among some very strong and intelligent books as I don’t think it can ever be such a classic. It doesn’t mean I don’t think the book is good as I obviously do but I think the evaluation could done less superficially for a better analysis by the general crowd of readers.
In the end, I think the book is a good entrance to smart reading and being introduced to less-cliché characters.
SophieSheeran

Post by SophieSheeran »

I don't think I've ever finished a book as fast as I did The Fault in Our Stars.
It mesmerized me. I enjoyed every step of the blooming relationship between Hazel and Augustus. It took me on a journey where I laughed , cried , thought about many things and questioned the deeper meaning of life that John Green successfully reflected with words on his novel.
I finished it in a matter of hours. English is not my native language but I embraced it as my own. I'm normally a really fast reader. But this was beyond my fast reading skills. I held the book in my hands and decided to read it before I went to sleep and when I closed the light to finally drift off , the book was finished.
I cried like a baby reading the end , and the part where she hid a cigarette to his suit on his funeral , I don't know why but I could not control my tears.
It was a great book after all. A short journey well lived for me.
jmalone1994
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Ink Exchange
Currently Reading: The Blood of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmalone1994.html
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by jmalone1994 »

I finished this book like a month ago and I don't think I've ever cried so much for a book. I'm pretty sure for at least twenty pages I was all out sobbing and then I kept tearing up until the book ended. I'm not much one for contemporary books, especially contemporary books that are as depressing as this one, but at the insistence of my friends I picked up the book. This book-along with putting me on an emotional roller coaster- made me think of a lot of things like life and death and what it all means. Unfortunately, while it was a good book I don't think it was quite as good as everyone hyped it up to be-please don't shoot!-I just think maybe it wasn't exactly my cup of tea and if I was interested in reading more contemporary books I would have enjoyed it more. But yeah, worth the read.
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

I know this sounds weird but hum... I thought this book was so good...That it was actually bad. I know it's weird thing to say but for some reason that is how I feel. I have never regreted reading a book before. No matter how bad the book could be. I regret reading the fault in our stars. Maybe because it made me feel so bad. I don't know. But please don't kill me for saying so, it really just is my personal opinion, and I won't deny that the book is good, because I get why people adored it.

Also, if you are looking for another similar story, read Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I adored this one. Personally I think it's better, but it's a sure thing that if you liked the fault in our stars you'll like this one.
DeiDeiBoltz

Post by DeiDeiBoltz »

I really enjoyed this book. It didn't end the way I expected it to or wanted it to, but it was a quick and excellent read. I think I will check out the movie. I never go see a movie until I read the book. So, I'm set!
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I've been meaning to read this for a while now, and these comments have made it a sure thing. I like sad things, and I like John Green, so I'm really looking forward to this one.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

This looked like an interesting book but I don't like to read "weepies" anymore. I believe it's about a young woman blogging about cancer. Can someone tell me more?

As a side note when I was a teen I loved sad books. In the early 70's there was a book, TV movie too if I remember correctly called "Sunshine", young Mom who gets sick then leaves behind her baby and husband...As you get older there's enough sad just watching the evening news.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
BeccaCaley
Favorite Author: To many
Favorite Book: I could not honestly say
Currently Reading: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Post by BeccaCaley »

I have read The Fault in our Stars! I read it around 2 years ago when it first came out, honestly it is one of my favourite stand alone books. It's about a young girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster she is 16 years old, she does have cancer, but she isn't blogging about it. I love the way that she talks to the reader, everything is very forward. It is a bit sad but at the same time there are such happy parts in the book, and it does have plot twists. What you expect to happen, doesn't. It is a brilliant book and I would definitely suggest that you read it! If you're not a fan of books that are a little sad but still want to see John Greens writing style I would say pick up Paper Towns by him, its about a young girl who decides she 'lives in a paper town with paper people' the book is not from her point of view but from another character. Its not sad and does have a happy ending again, it is something I would suggest reading!
I hope this helped!
vhathaway

Post by vhathaway »

This is one of my absolute favorite books by my favorite authors. The book is written in the perspective of a teenage girl with cancer,Hazel Grace Lancaster. She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few years before but now in remission and since then,her parents have wanted her to go out and socialize a bit more. So her mother takes her to a cancer support group where she meets a teenage boy in remission name Augustus Waters. Augustus develops a crush on her almost immediately and most of the book is focused on their relationship,their health struggles,and the people they meet in life. This book is honest and raw,one of the first books I have read that realistically portrays cancer patients and their struggles.
It is definitely a sad book,but it is also one of those books that can change your life and outlook,if you let it.
Chelsea_noel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-noel.html

Post by Chelsea_noel »

I actually have just set the book down, and I have been itching to write a review. I urge everyone to pick up a copy! It is hands down the best book I have read. It is about young love written in a way that makes it feel so mature at the same time. It's one of those books that get stuck in your head and won't leave even after you have finished. This book will change your perspective on subjects such as illness, love, and possibly even life. John Green truly knows how to pull the heart strings in a beautiful and endearing way through the main characters', Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. The Fault in our Stars is a must read for all ages not only young adult.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

I was planning on getting this book as the reviews have been good. Guess i get to get it now.
Sydmo1494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydmo1494.html

Post by Sydmo1494 »

I read this book, people on facebook referred it to me, and i just had to check it out.! it was amazing.! I laughed, I cried, and i fell in love. It was by far the best book I have read in awhile
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I'm definitely picking this book! I have seen so many great recommendations and reviews for this book. I feel like it will be heartbreaker but I'm giving this a shot.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
SaraTejani

Post by SaraTejani »

I don’t even know where to begin with this book.

Emotions that I can only compare to reading Jodi Picoult (more specifically, My Sister’s Keeper – which I find to be oddly parallel to The Fault in our Stars), I found it endearing, emotive, captivating. The realism in the story was the most emotional aspect for me, more so the fact that the story wasn’t sugar-coated at all. It was raw. It was real. It didn’t aim to be sentimental, nor was it aimed at evoking empathy for the characters – it was a story that was just told so realistically, so perfectly, that I felt so involved in the story and so engaged by the characters. It definitely portrayed such a strong aspect of reality you rarely see outside of a biography/an autobiography.

John Green is amazing. It, more often than not, takes more than one novel for an author to gain my acclamation, but The Fault in Our Stars is just that well written.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I'm also apprehensive about reading "The Fault in Our Stars" because it sounds so sad. Then again, I hardly ever read sad books so maybe it would be a good change.

I have heard so many marvelous things about this book but I just can't bring myself to read it. It's interesting reading other peoples comments about whether or not it's worth the read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”