The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CR Sutton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cr-sutton.html

Re: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Post by CR Sutton »

Teen books often get a bad rap because they are about teenagers. But John portrays them as real people; he shows life and struggles through their eyes is a big and important as anyone else's. age should not define us as much as it does. I love a book that moves me to laugh out loud and cry within pages of each other, as that shows strong writing and character. DFTBA!
JustAReader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justareader.html

Post by JustAReader »

The Fault In Our Stars is a book that is beautiful, amazing, remarkable, painful. However, that's the metaphor, the things that you love most in life hurt you. I fell in love with the way these 26 alphabets rearranged itself into such an extraordinary book. TFIOS shall forever be a book that will fill up a big place in everyone's hearts.
When I first picked up the book, I thought, oh another cancer love book, how dull. However, after 4 hours of continuous reading, when I finally finished I broke down and cried. My eyes were red and puffy at the end, but the book was sensational. It was marvelous, wonderful and phenomenal.
Thank you John Green for giving me forever in the 313 pages. I will forever cherish this TFIOS infinity.
jordantyler91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordantyler91.html

Post by jordantyler91 »

I was always skeptical to pick up "Looking for Alaska". It's description seemed to be a cross between "Catcher in the Rye" (which I hate) and "Dead Poet Society" (which I love). Reading "A Fault In Our Stars" has convinced me to read everything the man has ever written! I've read quite a few novels that deal with cancer but none that did it so well or surprised me so completely. If you are a person that does not like to cry in front of others, I do not recommend that you read this in public! I balled my eyes out on a road trip with my boyfriend's family and had to make up some excuse for why I was crying!
emilyxwebster1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxwebster1.html

Post by emilyxwebster1 »

I could have filled a swimming pool with the amount of tears I shed reading this book. I read this book about 6 months ago, but can still remember pretty much everything said. Me and my friends are always quoting the book and we cannot wait to see the film when it comes out (although it won't live up to the book in the slightest, I'm sure).
BookieFarrah

Post by BookieFarrah »

I thought this was an amazing book! I was worried that it would be too intense and emotional, but I thought that this book had a great balance of humor, romance, grief and love. I am really looking forward to the movie. I am generally disappointed with movies based on books, but I think the trailers for this one look really good. I had never read any other books by this author, but I will definitely be taking a look at some of his other work.
Adry41

Post by Adry41 »

Best book ever!
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Post by Sally Balboa »

Currently everyone in my school is raving about The Fault in Our Stars, and literally everyone is trying to get their hands on the book before it comes out in theaters. While I really enjoyed the novel, I feel like people are throwing out words like 'Excellent' 'Wonderful' and other praises around too much, I feel like it's damaging the book and making people about to read it expect a life changing experience, when they realize that it's just another good read, they're going to be upset.

I'm glad I read it before everyone else did or else I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I so badly want to read this book!!
According to my sister it is a great book, and I usually agree with her taste, so I want to read it soon.

I love watching his videos as well.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
lhtownse
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhtownse.html

Post by lhtownse »

This book was worth a read with two rather large caveats:

1. Do NOT listen to the audio version. I like audiobooks for when I am driving or running, but this was a poor choice. The reader sounded too old to be a convincing Hazel and I think this exacerbated my second complaint. I believe John Green narrated a version and I cannot speak to that one.

2. While I mostly liked the characters and their relationships there were some problems with believability. I felt this was about Looking for Alaska, as well. John Green often writes as an adult writing teenagers he thinks it would be cool to be, but not realistically. They have such self-conscious wit and coolness that are practically a necessity in young adult fic but which need to be seriously tempered with realism in my opinion. But, as I indicated in #1, I think this was seriously exaggerated by the reader and would be less of a problem when reading the hard copy.

Two particular merits of the story are the relationship between Hazel and her parents (very touching and totally believable) and the fact that I had plenty of predictions about what would happen, none of which came true. That is to say, Green successfully surprised me several times.
amber_dawn
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clair
Favorite Book: I can not do this
Currently Reading: Call of the Herald
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-dawn.html

Post by amber_dawn »

I literally just finished this book like an hour ago. I read it in about 14 hours, with the exception of me sleeping last night.

It was amazing. I cried when Issac did his eulogy at the pre funeral And I cried basically the rest of the book. The way John Green writes is incredibly relatable. I was so invested in the Augustus and Hazel. The way Augustus lives life so normally was, for lack of a better phrase, incredilbly strong. He is -was- an inspiration.

I will probably read all of John Green's book. So impressed.
Carr_olyn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carr-olyn.html

Post by Carr_olyn »

I loved The Fault in Our Stars. I thought it was beautiful and I loved the way he portrayed every situation and feeling from a realistic point of view. I cannot wait to see the film, however I am a little worried that it won't come close to the book and the feelings you develop from reading it!
isiesayshi

Post by isiesayshi »

The fault in our stars, is another beautiful book written by John Green. Though it is considered fiction, we can't help but find the truth written between the lines. It is not but another romance story. This is new. This book shows and indulges the outlook of a teenager. Not only does it add a new meaning to romance, but it also features the hardships that ,oneself, with cancer must go through. This book with it's lovable characters, comical humor, and bitter sweet tragedy, can not help but draw the reader in. It captivates and entices ones heart. We find ourselves shedding many a tear over this Shakespearerian tragedy. We can not help but laugh at Augustus and hazels humorous remarks, and cry over the terrible ending. We have all fallen in love with John Green's characters, and wish for them not to be no more. So with the tear worthy ending in mind, we brave reading the book over and over again, until pages are well worn. I can not help but recommend it, as my new favorite book. I love it so much, as many others do. So I say adieu adieu to Augustus waters once again, for this is the seventh time I have read it, and it will not be the last. I am looking forward to the movie, but I am wary of how it will be portrayed. I hope it will be wonderful, but wether I fall in love with it again, we must keep in mind that the actors and the director has tried their best to bring the amazing book to life. :D
Danielle1990
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Freed
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle1990.html

Post by Danielle1990 »

I would love to read this book before I actually see the movie.
jesuisamylea

Post by jesuisamylea »

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings." - Julius Caesar
Upon picking up the book to read for the first time, I didn't put it down until I'd finished. It's not often that I do that, but John Green has the power to grip an individual to a book to the very powerful end. It was a fantastic read and I felt so close to the characters and so ripped apart by the plot line. I've never recommended a book to others so frequently. As well as being so interesting, it has lessons to be learnt within it which are not hard to find.
The strong relationship between the protagonist and her love is inspiring and heartfelt, only someone who knows the real power of emotion can create such a beautiful love.

*SPOILER*

I was absolutely distraught that the book within the book 'An Imperial Affliction' was not a real book!
lovehappiness_07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovehappiness-07.html

Post by lovehappiness_07 »

5 stars for this book. Hands down to John Green.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”