The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Re: Has anyone read "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green??

Post by The Bookaholic »

Hi, I haven't red the book, but I really want to as I know that there is a movie adaption coming out soon. It is supposed to be excellent though as many people have told me to read it.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
rmark
Favorite Book: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rmark »

Yes, i have read The Fault in Our Stars and it automatically became one of my favorite books ever since I read it. It was an awesome reading experience for me and I am quite excited about the coming movie; i wonder if it would give me the same emotional adventure I had when I read the book.
Also, i think the books is not only good because of the story itself, but also with the writing skill John Green exhibited.
LisaT

Post by LisaT »

This book is sad, but I loved it. Looking forward to the movie!

Also, there is another book entitled "This Star Won't Go Out," which is the true story of the life of Esther Grace Earl. John Green based the book on her life.
Samperry82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samperry82.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Samperry82 »

Yes! One of the best books i've read! I cried about 4 times and have re-read it multiple times. If you do decide to read it you may want to soon because the movie is on its way! :D
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

I turned the last page of "The Fault in Our Stars" two days ago. The story has not left my mind.

The book itself is about a young girl, Hazel Grace Lancaster, and her struggle with cancer. The beauty of this book is that it is not a book about cancer. So many writers have a tendency to allow unwholesome crutches into their tale, such as a hot boy/girl, inconsiderate characters portrayed as role models, encouragement of a lazy lifestyle, and even offhand pity for a cancer patient. These are not necessarily bad to incorporate into a book, but when they are fed to a reader as good, they can be toxic. What is so special about John Green's book is that he forces his book to stand on its own too feet, without "crutches". Green is not afraid of writing a book that deals with the sometimes unappealing parts of life. He portrays a strong, young girl who has to face the fears of life and death.

At the beginning of the book, 16 year old Hazel meets Augustus Waters at a support group for cancer patients. They are attracted to one another and eventually start dating. The rest of the plot generally centers around these two people attempting to locate the author of their favorite book so they may ask him a few questions. The beautiful part of this book is that neither of these two people need each other. So many young adult books today show people ready to kill themselves if they do not have a boyfriend/girlfriend or if that boyfriend/girlfriend leaves. The only people those stories generate are clingy, selfish lovers. John Green creates two characters that are determined, selfless, capable people whose lives are only made better when they are together. That is the best kind of romance.

He also realistically displays the struggles of cancer patients. He presents the idea that everyone has a choice to fight, no matter how hard the situation. No matter where you are in life, you can fight, you can love, and you can live to the best of your ability. That is a message many people need to hear and it is a blessing that Green had the courage to pen this tale.

On the whole, "The Fault in Our Stars" is a exquisite tale and well worth the read.
lizrumping
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska by John Green
Currently Reading: 13 Little Blue Envelopes-Maureen Johnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizrumping.html

Post by lizrumping »

TFiOS is one of my favorite books. One of my favorite things about John Green's writing style is that he imagines people complexly. He takes people, teenagers and young adults, who are usually seen as one dimensional, not intelligent, or self-absorbed, and makes them into REAL people who are both relatable and intelligent. He shows in his writing that although teenagers may have less life experience, they still have important ideas that have worth and they have emotions that stretch beyond what one might even think was possible. DFTBA.
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html

Post by AmandaR »

lizrumping wrote:TFiOS is one of my favorite books. One of my favorite things about John Green's writing style is that he imagines people complexly. He takes people, teenagers and young adults, who are usually seen as one dimensional, not intelligent, or self-absorbed, and makes them into REAL people who are both relatable and intelligent. He shows in his writing that although teenagers may have less life experience, they still have important ideas that have worth and they have emotions that stretch beyond what one might even think was possible. DFTBA.
I completely agree with this. I love that about John Green. He has an originality about the way he interprets the world as well.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Now that the film is coming out, everyone keeps talking about how people should 'get ready to cry'. I'm kind of intrigued by your review, but at the same time, I really don't like reading books that are sad!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Coen10

Post by Coen10 »

I read this book on recommendation of a friend, because it is her favourite book. Can happily say that I was very pleased with the recommendation of this beautifully moving story.
Bookworm4ever

Post by Bookworm4ever »

I have heard that this is a really good book and that it has even made my friends (who never pick up a book) get so into it that they finished it in a day! I really want to know what it is about. Are there any more books by John Green which I should think about?
I am a teenager and love crime, mystery, fantasy and sometimes romantic books.
supernerdural

Post by supernerdural »

This book was beautiful. It isn't a cancer book, it's a book where the main characters just happen to have cancer.

I was astounded by how well John Green managed to capture the essence of a teenage girl. Seriously, I think there is something he's not telling us.

No matter how many times I read this book, it never fails to make me cry. Hell, I can read just the last 3 pages and emerge with tears dripping down my cheeks. He is a fantastic writer and can make you empathise with his characters so well that months later you are still thinking about them.

This is one of those books that will never leave you, and honestly I am glad. This book touched me and continues to touch thousands.
jakeline zelaya
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakeline-zelaya.html

Post by jakeline zelaya »

I read this book more than twice!!!!! The first time I read this book I quickly fell in love with the way ,John Green writes . this book is a book that will make you cry . This book is a great romance book to .
chvaki

Post by chvaki »

The Fault in Our Stars was an amazing book and is definitely worth the time to read. Although, I must say I liked "Looking for Alaska" better, they are both fabulous, with just the right amount of heartbreak and sadness, yet also with just the right amount of happiness and laughter. All in all, John Greene writes fabulous books, and they are all must-reads

-- 04 May 2014, 22:05 --

The Fault in Our Stars was an amazing book and is definitely worth the time to read. Although, I must say I liked "Looking for Alaska" better, they are both fabulous, with just the right amount of heartbreak and sadness, yet also with just the right amount of happiness and laughter. All in all, John Greene writes fabulous books, and they are all must-reads
readitandwept
Favorite Author: Libba Bray
Favorite Book: Ginger Pye
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readitandwept.html
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
Publishing Contest Votes: 4
fav_author_id: 2652

Post by readitandwept »

This book is amazing. I cannot wait till the movie (just about a month away). I read this after my friend practically shoved it into my hands at the bookstore a couple summers ago when it had just come out. From the very beginning I have loved this story, and I always will. When I become a high school English teacher, this will be one of the books I will make my class read. It shows the problems in other peoples lives. It makes you rethink the way you look at someone experiencing cancer. I know this book has changed me and I want others to experience its greatness like I had.
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
boobearsman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boobearsman.html

Post by boobearsman »

This book couldn't be more beautiful I cried and felt sad at basically every moment and this was just beautiful cant wait for the movie to come out, hope it keeps loyal to the book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”