The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Re: Has anyone read "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green??

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

Well first, this book isn't Non fiction, but is written in honor of a girl that John Green knew that was battling cancer and felt the need to write a book about cancer, with fictional characters, to bring awareness to teen cancer in a very realistic way in her honor. Unfortunately, she did not live to see the book to it's completion, but Green has stated in many articles and interviews that he firmly believes that she would have approved of his work.

That being said, I feel that this is a beautifully written book that very accurately demonstrates the struggles of dealing with such a serious illness at a young age and yet trying to live a young and normal life. As someone who is young and struggles with a serious illness, I appreciate this book even more for bringing an accurate view of what our emotions really are as we try to navigate the irregularities of our bodies and our hearts at the same time. Be prepared to cry your eyes out for sure, but the tears are worth it because the story has a way of finding a corner in your heart and staying there.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
bronwynrb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronwynrb.html

Post by bronwynrb »

I really like The fault in our stars. IT is written very well but is just an average plot.
annasheridan
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annasheridan.html

Post by annasheridan »

This is definitely one of my favorites. I have already read it twice, and I know I will be reading it again! John Green is such a good writer. He shows a lot of his talent here in this book. The Fault in Our Stars made me laugh and cry right along with the characters. I know a good book when I read one. This is a good book.
therhinofam
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therhinofam.html

Post by therhinofam »

Kudos to John Green for crafting a tale of teen love that feels real and wonderful! While so many teen love novels take the distopian or fantasy route, John Green presents a tale of two teens facing enormous challenges in life, but who manage to find a beautiful love in the midst of the pain.

The beginning of the book opens to find the main character, Hazel Grace, a young girl dying of cancer. I absolutely adored Hazel with her comically snarky attitude but deep care for her parents, whom she is concerned what will happen to them upon her death. Hazel attends a cancer support group, where she meets Augustus Waters (Gus), who lost his leg in his battle with cancer. The two begin a very easy and natural friendship over their love of movies, books, and sharing their experiences with cancer.

It is Hazel and Gus's love of books that take them on an adventure across the globe. All aspects of love and relationship are explored through the lens of their illness; Is it fair to love someone knowing the pain that your death will cause them?

The story will take you through the entire emotional gamut - laughing aloud to crying with deep sorrow. It is a beautifully well crafted story that will remain with you long after the last page.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I haven't though my cousin told me to read it many times. I have prejudice against the young adult books :/
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
kbenson2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbenson2.html

Post by kbenson2 »

One of the things I liked about this book was yes it was emotional but John Green does such a wonderful job of incorporating humor into the story. It will probably make you cry (it did for me and I don't normally cry very easily) but it is a very well written interesting story that is definitely worth a read.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Not yet..but after seeing the movie it is definitely on my TBR pile....
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
bookwrm22
Favorite Book: any book that someone took time to write
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes + Percy Jackson series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm22.html

Post by bookwrm22 »

I personally thought it was a really touching story, the voice throughout was really moving and interesting. It's one of those oh-look-i-just-took-this-book-out-today-but-i'm-already-finished-with-it kind of reads. I haven't seen the movie because I cannot imagine it topped the book.
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

I'm sure by now you have read it. I am once again the odd man out as I don't understand the hype over it. The characters were odd and I could not relate to their personalities…even when I was a teen. The girl's favorite writer in the book made no sense to have in the book. It was pure fill in like in a bad movie when they have to add scenes. Yes it was sad but it was no surprise. You knew it was coming from the start,

Either way I am glad so many enjoyed it:)
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
abbierakes
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbierakes.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by abbierakes »

I read The Fault in Our Stars in one night. It was a very simple read and lacked the depth of Jodi Picoult, but it was a nice story. A teenage girl is battling cancer and she is pretty sure she knows what her grim outcome will be and she meets and hesitantly falls in love with a fellow cancer patient. It's a very sweet story of a blossoming romance with a "love conquers all' attitude, but it just wasn't as moving as I was expecting. Maybe the story line just went by so fast that I didn't catch all of the detail. I usually read things that resemble works of the romantic period where EVERYTHING is explained in painstaking detail so you really get the feel for it. Perhaps that's what this book was lacking. I haven't seen the movie for it, maybe it would change my mind.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I read it at the recommendation of my obsessed campers. It was a quick and captivating read that I finished in one night! I recently re-read it after seeing the movie.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Just started this and I can already tell Im going to be a snotty weepy mess....

-- 13 Jan 2015, 02:36 --

Well, I finished the book last night. Ill preface my thoughts by saying, I dont enjoy chick lit or romance stories.

I adored this book. I wish I had stopped reading about 10 pages from the end so I would always have a little bit of the story left waiting for me. I wish, in a way their story did not end like AIA. As a former teenage girl I felt Hazels tickle of love for Gus and admired her for her emotional maturity I suspect that was a 'side effect' of cancer. Their love story, though short in time, will last an eternity in hearts. As a parent, I cried for both moms. This above all else is a parents worst nightmare. I hugged my girls a little tighter last night. I am saving this book for my girls to read when they are teens, along with Segals 'Love Story.'
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
dda0615
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by dda0615 »

I would have to give this a 2. While I enjoy the way John Green writes, I found it rather ridiculous how predictable this book was practically right from the get-go. I was looking forward to the ending...until I actually got to the ending. So expecting it to end in mid-sentence, given all the hype of the book within the book. I just think that would have made it more complete, at least for me. I guess that was the one prediction I missed. It did make me cry at one part and smile at others. John Green has a great talent. I plan to read some of his other books and hopefully won't be as disappointed. I just wish these newer writers would actually build characters instead of just outlining them. Seriously guys, learn to color!
cajagreg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cajagreg.html

Post by cajagreg »

I absolutely loved The Fault in Our Stars. It had gotten so much popularity and then the movie came out. I'm not sure I would be able to get through the movie. The book alone made me laugh out loud and cry. I couldn't put it down and got through it fairly quickly. Such an amazing read about love and death and the different attitudes about the horrible facts of cancer from all aspects. My favorite book of the year!
Anna08
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Anna08 »

I finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars" withing 24 hours of starting the book. I have read many books with cancer patients being the main character and they are all basically the same. "The Fault in Our Stars" was undeniably different than any other books in its specific genre. There is one part in the book that talks about terminal patients not being any more courageous than anyone else. John Green makes them relateable to everyone. Often authors make excuses for their characters, they give them unrealistic courage, kindness, optimism. . . John Green does not make excuses for characters, they each have flaws and issues of their own.

Hazel and Augustus are intelligent beyond their years. They are both struggling with life, love, and trying not to hurt the people closest to them. Hazel talks about being a grenade ready to explode and take out everything around her, but throughout the book learns that no matter what, in this life, everyone is a grenade and there are some people you would rather get hurt by than to be safe and never truly know them.
"Youd don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." - Augustus Waters

I do not like the fact that John Green constantly references "An Imperial Affliction." By the end of "The Fault in Our Stars" I really wanted to read "An Imperial Affliction" which is a book that only exists in John Green's own mind. I had to constantly stop myself from turning to the last page to make sure it ended in a full sentence.

"The Fault in Our Stars" is an amazing book and certainly worth the taking the time to read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”