Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NTerpening
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nterpening.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by NTerpening »

I am definitely a Potter fan. I will admit this probably has to do with the fact that I read the Harry Potter series as a child, though. The books were still being written, and I remember waiting for all of the release dates with staggering anticipation, wondering what each book would hold for my beloved Harry, my childhood literary crush. When I read Twilight, all the books had been released, and I just wanted to know what everyone was going on about. I found the plots very predictable, and I already had a personal preference for paranormal romance to indulge myself in that Twilight just couldn't seem to match in terms of quality. Watching my friends read Harry Potter at this age and time, I see them bored and uninterested in it, and I can kind of understand that. The books were written for children, so without the suspense of waiting for a release date for nearly a year, the books might just be a bit beneath their caliber. Twilight on the other hand seems to have been written for a more mature audience, so many of the young adult readers are finding it to their tastes. As to why their is such a competition arising between these two series, I think it's because Twilight came out at the very end of Harry Potter's reign in current literature. J. K. Rowling had taken the world by storm for so many years with her world of magic, and the time just seemed ripe for a new champion in the world of books.
FunDuhMentalist
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FunDuhMentalist »

Twilight seemed like the poor man's Harry Potter to me. Poor in terms of imagination. Poor in terms of expression. Poor in terms of how much attention the author paid to details. Harry Potter was a book written to be read, and with the exception of the seventh and final book in the series, it was moderately dramatic. Twilight on the other hand was a book written to be made into a cheesy movie. This is not to put Twilight down, but more to put Harry Potter at a high pedestal.
LillyLovesLit_

Post by LillyLovesLit_ »

I personally have not read Twilight yet so I am unable to voice an opinion on both of them. I think it'd be hard to top Harry Potter but I'd certainly not compare them and think of them as competing books...
Annalise Davis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalise-davis.html

Post by Annalise Davis »

I found Twilight kinda corny. I didn't hate it and I would not go on and say I hated it but I prefer Harry Potter over Twilight definitely.
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

I didn't like Twilight, the vampires were sparkly angst ridden immortal teenagers and Bella seemed more like an obsessive stalker to me.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
bebby_the_booker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bebby-the-booker.html

Post by bebby_the_booker »

I love Harry Potter, and its an integral part of my childhood but I loved Twilight I felt like it was the transfer from my childhood into my teen years, I loved reading about a new kind of life and attractive boys and so on, but faced with the choice I would always have to choose Harry Potter..
nellybae100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellybae100.html

Post by nellybae100 »

For me personally twilight even,though i love harry potter and its series i love twilight a little more since i,was young my first,ya novel, was twilight i fell in love with it instantly from,the characters to,the plotline and the romance just,gripped you,and then i saw the movie which was amazing amd i got completely hooked into the series
monideane21
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monideane21.html
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait

Post by monideane21 »

I prefer Harry Potter personally, but I agree thatbthey aren't comparable, they are too different.
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait
Orny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orny.html

Post by Orny »

Yeah, this mustn't be seen as a competition.
Even thou I like them both, my favorite is "Harry Potter" of course. Still they are different stories, different subjects, and each one has it's own 'style', it's own beauty. They don't have to be divide as two opponent teams, cuz they're not!
kylier78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylier78.html

Post by kylier78 »

I agree that you can't compare the two. They are completely different genres to start with. Twilight is poorly written angst for early teenagers and Harry Potter is written for all ages. Granted the first two books in the series were written for pre teens but the later books are more adult. I am very much a Potter fan. Can you tell?
theluxurious
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theluxurious.html

Post by theluxurious »

You can't compare these two books. I'm not exactly a fan of either but I would say that Harry Potter is more interesting than Twilight.
mathman101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathman101.html

Post by mathman101 »

I don't even know why these two series should be compared. They have completely different plots.
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

Why would anyone bother to compare these two? Harry Potter is for primary school children......and a lot of it is just plain boring. Twilight is for teens and Young adults.
Sylistically they are too different to compare. Both have more hype than substance.
AddisoMLeo

Post by AddisoMLeo »

perksofbeingme wrote:I notice a lot of people are trying to say twilight is the new harry potter.

Some people (in fact more than I think possible) seem to want to make it some sort of competition. I don't get this personally. I've read both the series (save breaking dawn b/c it hasnt come out yet) and I think that they are both amazing, incredible, the best. But I don't feel there needs to be a competition! ITs silly! You can love both series! You can love Harry and Edward! Nowhere is it written that "thou must love harry and only harry" or "thou cannot love harry b/c thou loveth edward!"

Am I the only one who feels this way?

And I appologize for the rant, I've been holding it in for weeks :-)

I see your point to it, and it is true, but people thing what they will . There's little to no similarities between the two books, it's just the matter off "Hey, this one has vampires that sparkle and some obsessed girl and this one has a kid fighting a middle aged enemy.."
phonicphoenix
Favorite Author: The Brothers Grimm
Favorite Book: Holes
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phonicphoenix.html
fav_author_id: 5346

Post by phonicphoenix »

I found the Harry Potter series to be a lot more imaginative and its story was better captivated with more descriptive language. I felt like the Twilight series truly lacked that connection to its plot and its characters.
Now it's all change, it's got to change more
Cause we think it's getting better
But nobody's really sure

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”