Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write

Post by nan m »

well harder to write. I could never write a short fiction and always ended up writing a big fic.. :oops:

-- 28 Dec 2013, 02:58 --

well harder to write. I could never write a short fiction and always ended up writing a big fic.. :oops:

-- 28 Dec 2013, 02:58 --

Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
aliciawilson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciawilson.html
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Post by aliciawilson »

I think it depends on the writer whether short fiction is easier or harder to write. I know I create on such a large scale that short stories are very difficult for me. They usually seem more like scenes for a larger work than anything else. I love reading short stories though.
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

I think writing short fiction is harder. A writer has to give the reader a great experience with few words. I really admire people like Stephen King who know how to write good short stories.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
cglr
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cglr.html

Post by cglr »

Short can be harder and easier depending on many aspects of the book. I like short fiction because it immediately welcomes you and give you a seat in the room. You may be uncomfortable sitting on that chair but at least you have a chair to sit.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

A witty way of putting it, cglr. :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

We abbreviate a lot of things, think meta data, micro-blogging websites like Twitter or texting, so short fiction fits right in. It is something which I enjoy reading, although I agree with other posts that it has to be good. And it is harder to write a short story. I think of it as a condensed written art form, nothing superfluous, like presenting a speech within a timeframe, it has to work, you have to get your message across, no room for rambling, every word there for a reason. Short fiction can be as memorable as a 500 page novel!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I don't read short fiction anymore.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
TL7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tl7.html

Post by TL7 »

I ADORE short fiction. Well, short fiction done well. Short fiction that isn't done well is much easier to write than well-written short fiction. It takes time an effort to get to the level of Bradbury or Vonnegut, who have greater impact in the efficiency of their short stories than they do in their novels, and I loved their novels. To build and hold the tension in a piece of short ficiton is hard; characterization and conflict must be complete, but there isn't the space of the novel to develop them. The reader is expected to care about what happens, though, and that means the writer can't waste words or be fluffy about development. Badly written short stories stand out like a penguin at the tanning salon.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"the level of Bradbury or Vonnegut, who have greater impact in the efficiency of their short stories than they do in their novels"

If not the author, who has a greater impact on the writing of their novels?
paperbackreader10

Post by paperbackreader10 »

Thank you for the list. I'm very busy at the moment but am now looking forward to reading some of these short stories.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

An amazing selection! A few I have read, but many more I shall have to look in to. My favorite short story author would have to be Edgar Allen Poe. I Just love his short reads. I like his poetry but his short reads are much easier to understand.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
bobsmoot

Post by bobsmoot »

That's a great list, of which I've read many. My favorite out of them is "The Lottery".
Gaveitallup
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe
Favorite Book: Way too many to choose from...
fav_author_id: 4228

Post by Gaveitallup »

I love short fiction, and I think some of my favorite are "The Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe, and "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson... Though I really like "The Destructors" by Graham Greene too! :)
BreBunny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brebunny.html

Post by BreBunny »

It's sort of in-between for writing short fiction. Easier because it's shorter. But also difficult for the same reason because you need to sort in more details to actually develop a story that others will enjoy.
Daniel12345

Post by Daniel12345 »

Thank you for this list. I read short stories when i'm bored and this is a great list. How did you find this long list of short stories. Just WOW! Thanks again! :D

Return to “Classical Short Reads”