Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Clive Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write

Post by Clive Johnson »

Few people want to read short fiction. I am not sure it is easier to write than longer fiction. I have a subject that preoccupies me and characters involved in the story, a narrative and images in my head. I know what I want to say and how I want to say it, but currently I am expected to think about genres and the expectations of target audiences. Book sellers are reluctant to sell short stories, even in anthologies. As Eliott said, "Between the artist and the man, there falls the shadow."
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

A short story can have just as much detail that brings the story whole at the end as a long story does. Because of this, I believe that short stories are much harder to write and be enjoyable.

Anyone can write a short story, but it takes someone dedicated with a strong mind to create a short story that has all the pieces of a long story, with less words.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Lolly_Reader »

It's an incomplete list if it doesn't include at least one of the brilliant short stories by Saki (H.H. Munro).
Clive Johnson

Post by Clive Johnson »

It is a long time since I read them. I remember they were dark and funny; the sort of humour to be found in Roald Dahl's tales before he turned to writing for children.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I start writing short stories all the time and then curve it into a poem because it is so strenuous for me to write a short story- I am a perfectionist and give up too easy when it comes to writing short stories. I agree with the person who said that it depends on the nature of the story rather than the length because some stories just roll off the pen whether it be 10k words or simply 500 words.
Clive Johnson

Post by Clive Johnson »

I think a brief story can be as effective as the complex constructions of Somerset Maugham. I think there should be more to the composition than the vignettes of Hemingway. I submitted a story that had a beginning a middle and an end to a competition to be told that it had no plot, presumably because it dealt with difficulties of communication rather than say, a contested will or an infidelity. A poem is a good foundation for a story. Robert Frost's poem about stopping in woods on a winter evening revealed much more than his feelings about solitude and nature. Commentators were able to infer the travails that led him to wish to remain in that lonely spot and as some suppose, to end his life.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

Short stories are easier to write because they involve less research and ultimately less slog, especially when it comes to the second and third re-writes.
They don't have to have a twist ending, in fact some of the best short stories don't end at all, but simply finish; allowing the reader to imagine how the situation is resolved.
I enjoy reading and writing both short stories and works of a longer length like the novelette, novella and of course the novel.
I'm not really appreciative of several volume books it tends to lead to laziness.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I like a variety of genres and the amount time that it takes to read the novel doesn't matter to me, as
long as the story is educational, entertaining or compelling. I think that the level difficulty or ease of
writing a work of short fiction depends on the topic and what the potential audience expects to read.
Cecaniah
Currently Reading: Writing for Children and Teens
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecaniah.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cecaniah »

I remembered we had a drama on the short story, The Necklace. It was hard at the start because I was the one who played the role of the protagonist. I believe it is more easy to write a short fiction since you are able to finish writing the story without any sequel like novels.
Diane Beatrix
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Diane Beatrix »

Reading books take us away from reality, esp.fiction stories. It depends upon the content of book that makes it interesting. It doesn't matter if it's easier or harder to write as long as the readers are enjoying it.
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

You have a very long list. I don't read many short stories except for children stories. Maybe I'll try some in your list. Thank you! :!:
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

I think both reading and writing short fiction is complex. If I had to choose which one is harder I would probably assume that writing short fiction harder. Being the writer I think you have to take a lot more into consideration. In addition, you have to make sure you have every word or phrase thought out to ensure the best read. Otherwise, the story may not have the impact intended by the author. Reading on the other hand, can be dense and difficult but with time and effort it can be an enjoyable and meaningful read. Reading dense requires the reader to be careful and pay close attention to detail, if you miss even the smallest nuance or detail you may not get the intended meaning or effect the author was hoping to give you.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
JFrancis
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfrancis.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by JFrancis »

I would state that great short fiction is more difficult to write, but that is my humble opinion. However, you are still attempting to convey a meaningful story but in fewer words. So, you need to choose your words with greater care, in many ways. You have to capture the imagery of the story while being succinct.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

This is a great list! But I have to make a recommendation for Murakami collection "After The Quake." It's an amazing collection of shorties inspired by the tragedy of the Kobe earthquake. But rather than focusing on the victims of the earthquake it focuses on the areas affected by the news of the quake. It's an excellent, thought provoking collection that all short story readers need to check out.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Short fiction is definitely hard to write, unless you have an unique talent for writing. You have to deliver a great story, develop the characters and have all other factors that make any book or story good. It's very hard to do on so little pages, but it can always serve as a good practice. Reading short fiction is now popular, especially among commuters.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Return to “Classical Short Reads”