Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write

Post by RussetDivinity »

Whether I like short fiction or not depends on my mood. Sometimes I just need something quick to read, that I can get from beginning to end relatively easily and then digest. Other times I want something to linger over, which is when I turn to novels. I especially love short stories in anthologies; I'm in the middle of one about climate change, and I love seeing how different authors treat the same theme. That's one thing I think is harder to get with novels, since they're almost always written from just the one authorial voice rather than from a collection.

As to whether it's harder to write... again, it depends. Some plots or characters are suited only for short stories, which others need novels to be fleshed out or simply to exist because they span so much. And I don't think every short story needs that little twist at the end. Some can work out very well simply being stories without having to subvert the readers' expectations.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I have attempted to write a short story a numerous times but it is damn difficult to do justice with the end. I always end up writing a big one. lol
Writing a short fiction is in itself a talent. :P
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I have never read a short story and to be honest I never will. It's just my opinion but I don't think short stories have enough substance and of course end to quickly for me to get fully stuck into
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

Thanks for the list. I was surpised that Conrad's The Heart of Darkness was not on it, but maybe that's because the compilers of the list considered it to be a novella rather than a short story. Conrad's command of English and storytelling is superb in the story, exceeding even his usual standards.

I definitely read short fiction as well as novels, and I don't find short fiction to be lacking in depth or complexity. The two forms have different purposes and virtues. Some short stories I have read come closer to perfection than any other literature I know. They are just marvels of intricate but condensed art, with every word and sentence doing double or triple duty and suggestive of much more that remains unwritten.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
nikki_nook
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nikki_nook »

I believe that while it is difficult for some to include a great deal of detail into longer stories, it must be incredibly difficult for a short story to be written. To me, the ideal short story is Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery." Jackson gave enough detail to paint a clear picture of the setting and emotion surrounding the lottery, while ending the story in a haunting way, in shambles, with no detailed conclusion. This, I believe, must be incredibly difficult to pull off.
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I haven't read many short stories in the past but recently I'm been reading some on the recommendation of my boyfriend. Sometimes I like how short the stories are and other times it kills me haha.

In the writing vein. I never used to write short stories either, but I've never really finished any work of a great length and switched to short form and have been having moderate success with it. Short fiction comes with it's own pluses and minuses just like longer fiction in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"I have never read a short story and to be honest I never will. It's just my opinion but I don't think short stories have enough substance and of course end to quickly"

How can you have an opinion on the nature of short stories never having read one? Well, of course you can have an ill-informed and incorrect opinion ...
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Short fiction really is an amazing art of its own. It's very difficult to craft, but incredibly rewarding when written well.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
TaWo98

Post by TaWo98 »

I have tried several times to write a short story and I have found it to be so painfully difficult. It is difficult because once i immerse myself in writing about my characters and discovering their stories it's so hard to make it short. While writing I just want to keep going and can't seem to contain a story in just a few pages.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Short fiction is harder to write. A writer has to keep the reader engaged completely for the short span of time. So every word and every sentence becomes important and needs to be constructed carefully.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
davi_dobson

Post by davi_dobson »

I struggle with brevity in general, so it's a resounding no to writing short fiction for me! My admiration and praise goes out to those who have the talent/skill to create a climactic piece that both immediately reels in readers and keeps them entranced through to the end....I would probably injure myself trying!
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

I love reading short fiction. it gives you the chance to explore an idea that is not humanly possible.

As for writing, I think that depends on the person, because for some it might come naturally. That's not to say that anyone can't get achieve being a writer, because you can always take creative classes, that helps an individual become a writer.
Reetikal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetikal.html

Post by Reetikal »

Wow amazing list on the top
Short reads keep me focused at time
Brianaporter
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: Beautiful by Amy Reed
Currently Reading: Black Box by Julie Schumacher
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianaporter.html
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by Brianaporter »

I love short story fictions. My favorite short story author is none other than David Sedaris. I do however believe that it would be harder to write because you can't go into detail like you want. You must keep it short and sweet.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I don't like reading short fiction that much and I think a lot of times it's harder to write as well. But then I read really good short stories that stayed with me far longer than some novels do.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Return to “Classical Short Reads”