Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write?

Read and discuss classic short stories.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Re: Who reads short fiction? Is it easier or harder to write

Post by Hadiqa »

I dont really mind short fiction since I started reading short fiction and then to novels and longer work :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Valrose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valrose.html

Post by Valrose »

I am new to the onlinebookclub and was so excited to see this question and the extensive listing of great reads, as I am addicted to both short fiction and non-fiction. Lately, I have been drawn to stories that focus on science, nature, and the spirit. Works by Pico Iyer, Brian Doyle, Edward Abbey, Annie Dillard etc. My greatest inspiration comes from The Best American series.
mixedchocolite
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mixedchocolite.html

Post by mixedchocolite »

I love reading short stories, especially those with a twist. I now have my new list of short stories
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Short fiction is very very hard for me to write. Sometimes they come out good, but they usually wind up being twenty or so pages long so I'm not sure how short you would classify that to be. It's a matter of picking exactly the right words and differentiating between what must be known and what you want to be known.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Short fiction is easier to write in that it generally only takes a day or so for me to whip up a first draft, but harder because you have to keep the tension more than in novels and because you need to keep it short, there's no room for philosophical rambles, tangents, overdeveloping characters, dialogue for its own sake, backstory or anything extraneous. And it's hard to create a complete, balanced story arc with so little room to work with.
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Post by +Eevee+ »

Amazing list! I love short fiction and I think it's a lot easier to write.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I love short fiction. I have read a few of the titles on that list and would definitely like to read more. I have written short fiction but not a full length novel so can't comment on which is easier. I would say that full length books are generally more complex where as short stories would focus on a single idea, and would be easier to write in that regard.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Recently I love flash fiction, stories of about 1000 words. You can find some really good flash fiction at Daily Science Fiction, the website, and that was what got me hooked.
Flash fiction has a special sort of zing because of its length. If it has a message, the point gets across quickly and clearly. If it's just a fun story with maybe a minor twist, that is communicated quickly too. There's little character development but they're very easy to read.
I still haven't been able to write my own flash fiction though. It's tricky! I haven't gotten below 2500 words yet.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

I have quite recently discovered short fiction by one of my favourite writers, Ruth Rendell. I've had some problems with concentration due to personal issues, and shorts are ideal. I recommend her collections Bloodlines and The Fever Tree
puffbear
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puffbear.html

Post by puffbear »

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these wonderful short stories! I love it!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I have not read much short fiction. Thinking this is a good list to get started. I always assumed that writing a short story would be easier but you brought up some good points about the challenges of that.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
sjauhar
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjauhar.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by sjauhar »

I love reading short stories but I've never tried to write any as it would seem hard to have to condense a story and still make it work. The shortest story I ever wrote is more of a fairy tale for children, which wasn't too hard. I've never tried to do one for adults though I do love reading them!
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Short fiction is fun to read - the perfect length for a lunchtime read, right before bed, etc. It's also great because - since it is short - it is typically full of action, straight to the point, and often has a twist ending. Challenging to write though, because of the same reasons (so much to tell in a short space).
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Very nice list of short stories !!! Thanks for posting.

To answer your question: I think a full blown novel offers more real estate for an author to include devices such as metaphor and foreshadowing and on the whole there is greater room for fleshing out character traits, subplots and settings. A short story relies on getting quickly to the meat and potatoes of the plot with far less embellishment. I think you could compare it to art in the sense that a novel is a finely detailed painting whereas a short story is a painting done with fewer and broader strokes.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
thatgoodKnight

Post by thatgoodKnight »

I once wrote a soliloquy that
1. Was short fiction
2. Won a soliloquy contest
3. Caused DATo to observe "Now you can hide your own Easter eggs."
With bonafides like that, why would I write anything else? (Why are 1-3 above bonafides? Read my
collection of soliloquies "Talking To Oneself Isn't Necessarily the Domain of a Manic Stuck in A Nursing Home
With Only a Bed Pan to Talk To." and find out why.

Return to “Classical Short Reads”