Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by James Craft »

Lest92 wrote:I think it's refreshing when there is no romance because it's become so expected in stories.
Yeah. I don't know when it became an expectation, especially in Hollywood. Maybe it was the idea 'if we're paying for these expensive actors, people want to see them kiss!'
innocentdemand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocentdemand.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by innocentdemand »

I'm with a bunch of other people who find it nice when a book doesn't add any romance to it. I don't think it's ever necessary if the book isn't specifically labeled as romance. There are plenty of books about that or which contain it, and having one that doesn't makes it a bit of a stand-out work.
sugar coating is for desserts.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.
I don't necessarily agree that they are best sellers because they have romance. I think they are well-written books full of action. That's why they are best sellers. I bet if you left the romance out, they would still be best sellers. I could be wrong though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?
I am perfectly okay with skipping romance for keeping up with the action thriller speed.
In fact, I never missed romance in this novel, though there were circumstances where
romance could have happened (in Haatim's house, in the Raven's Peak cottage, etc).

I personally feel that romance and action thriller should not be mixed up, as romance
could slow down the speed of the thriller novel. A great example of this is "Escape"

Read my review here and feel free to comment:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42292

There are too many instances of romance in 'Escape' which makes the
novel sluggish and dragging, and makes it unworthy of an action thriller.

Thanks for asking!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Personally, I like the lack of romance so far, but I have to admit that I've also been wondering if a romance between Haatim and Abigail will happen at some point. So far she seems to be more like a big sister than a lover to Haatim. I'm thinking that maybe they have an important connection or relationship that isn't romance, and from the other comments, it looks like we'll need to read the next book for find out more...
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

MsMartha wrote:Personally, I like the lack of romance so far, but I have to admit that I've also been wondering if a romance between Haatim and Abigail will happen at some point. So far she seems to be more like a big sister than a lover to Haatim. I'm thinking that maybe they have an important connection or relationship that isn't romance, and from the other comments, it looks like we'll need to read the next book for find out more...
I agree that I think their semi-plutonic relationship works out really well, but the farther I get into the story the more I think maybe something will develop. They are good together.
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

Adding romance to it will make it perfect. It will be nice if they can keep their personalities and friendship at the same time. The Sparks are there :D
TinaFaye
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by TinaFaye »

Of course, a little romance is always welcome. To me the lack of romance in a book makes it less real. Everyone has someone that they "romance" with.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I really liked the fact that a romance didn't develop; I feel like it would have taken away from the story. That honestly wasn't what I was reading the book for anyway. I really hate when authors incorporate a pointless romance into a really good plot, especially when it's rushed. However, I wouldn't be opposed to that happening later in the other books.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Kitkat3 wrote:I really liked the fact that a romance didn't develop; I feel like it would have taken away from the story. That honestly wasn't what I was reading the book for anyway. I really hate when authors incorporate a pointless romance into a really good plot, especially when it's rushed. However, I wouldn't be opposed to that happening later in the other books.
I agree with you. I don't want a romance to consume the plot but the gradual development of one in later books would be a nice addition.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

This is real tricky business - I've read books where romance was incorporated really well, and ones where it just felt forced and out of place. It's definitely up to the author, but I'm still all for it.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

kandscreeley wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.
I don't necessarily agree that they are best sellers because they have romance. I think they are well-written books full of action. That's why they are best sellers. I bet if you left the romance out, they would still be best sellers. I could be wrong though.
You're not wrong. I'm most familiar with the Hunger Games, and the romance is used...interestingly in that series. It's made very clear that the protagonist doesn't return the feelings of the guys who are interested in her. In one of the movies, she says outright that she's incapable of a relationship, because the only emotion she can feel is fear. She's so focused on accomplishing REALLY goals, and so completely rejects romance, that she's been embraced as an asexual protagonist by some people.

But she's forced to fake it to survive. With somebody she deeply respects and loves in a non-romantic way. Somebody who she turns to for support, knowing that the reason he'll always be there is because he has an unrequited crush on her. And when that deeply hurts him and they can't stand being in the same room with each other...they still have to fake being in love.

This is an fantastic, complex, emotional story, and it has romantic undertones, but it's definitely not a "romance" as such.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I found it nice to just focus on the story this time, there was a lot going on in a short period of time that wouldn't have given much chance for a romance to develop. Too much may have taken away the action and fast pace.

They are good together though, so I would like to see more of a relationship between them but it doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic one.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

TinaFaye wrote:Of course, a little romance is always welcome. To me the lack of romance in a book makes it less real. Everyone has someone that they "romance" with.
Personal experience proves this assertion wrong.

I'm always glad to see stories with little to no romance in them. Platonic relationships are so much more important to me, and they're rarely explored that deeply. Emotional (and physical) intimacy is possible in platonic relationships. Hard to believe, I know :)
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”