Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post by MarisaRose »

Amagine wrote:Call me crazy but I love reading books that have the twisted end where the villian actually wins...or at least gets away with everything. The reason is because that is just more realistic to me. Good doesn't always win in the end. I want to read a book that showcases that.
I completely agree! These types of books can be some of the most interesting. I also like when the 'bad guy' has some redeeming qualities and isn't totally reprehensible. I like the psychological play of these types of stories.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Rebeccaej wrote:I set a challange for myself, in the novel I'm writing, to write a world entirely without malice, without rage, essentially without evil, and see how much conflict I could get out of a world where everybody is working from good intentions.

It turns out, quite a lot, and a lot is in moral gray areas or "blue and orange morality," that I find a lot more compelling than good vs evil.

Knowing that somebody is kind and loving, and watching them argue in favor of atrocities, for reasons you used to believe yourself--that just feels a lot more interesting to me than moral absolutes.
You know, I believe that there is a lot of harm that comes from good intentions that is for sure. I agree on that point. At least half of the fights my husband and I have are because we are both trying to look out for the other person.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jeyran Main wrote:This is a very interesting topic to discuss about. What we always fail to understand is that Good should always prevail, and just because it does, it shouldn't mean that it's now boring. I think the strength of a book relies on how strong the author writes and makes the plot so appealing for you wanting good to win.
I agree with your point, Jeyran Main. I honestly believe that if evil prevailed in a story, then I would become so frustrated that I may give up on the series (if there were more books in the series) and most likely give it a lower rating. You're also right that it's the journey the author creates that makes the story appealing, and good doesn't have to boring.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

MarisaRose wrote:
Amagine wrote:Call me crazy but I love reading books that have the twisted end where the villian actually wins...or at least gets away with everything. The reason is because that is just more realistic to me. Good doesn't always win in the end. I want to read a book that showcases that.
I completely agree! These types of books can be some of the most interesting. I also like when the 'bad guy' has some redeeming qualities and isn't totally reprehensible. I like the psychological play of these types of stories.
Yes, what you described is one of my favorite literary types, the anti-villian. They do mostly bad things but have a moral code as well. I also like the anti-hero type. The type of person who has a good heart but sometimes have questionable actions. It's a good story if these two types meet. I also like to witness the psychological play between the protagonist and the antagonist.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I sometimes have trouble getting into books with the "good vs. evil" theme. I find that they can get predictable and dull as things in these kinds of book can be clearly labeled as "black and white," which I don't think is realistic. Things aren't black or white, good or evil. I think it can be hard to be surprised by a story of a book with "good vs. evil."
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

You can't have good without evil. Moral absolutes don't really work, and everything is shades of gray. People change, ideas change, and the world changes. The political climate changes, too, and it is entirely gray areas.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

The issue I have with "Good vs. Evil" is that good and evil are relative terms, for the most part. I have no issue reading books that place a heavy emphasis on this age-old battle, but I much prefer book that hover in the middle. I like stories that balance good and bad, showing that everyone has both traits. Those stories are much more realistic and much more interesting to read, in my opinion.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Natalie Charlene wrote:The issue I have with "Good vs. Evil" is that good and evil are relative terms, for the most part. I have no issue reading books that place a heavy emphasis on this age-old battle, but I much prefer book that hover in the middle. I like stories that balance good and bad, showing that everyone has both traits. Those stories are much more realistic and much more interesting to read, in my opinion.
Definitely agree with this one. There needs to be ambiguity to make it believable. I think, to be honest, one of my least favorite aspects of good vs evil is in Star Wars, particularly the way the video games handled it. If you went down the 'evil' path they made you uglier and your skin distorted and you went crazy, and if you took the good path you had a glow and cleanliness to you that was incredibly heavy handed.

I want my evil and enemies to be intelligent at least, and the best motivations are ones that aren't necessarily bad.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

"I think, to be honest, one of my least favorite aspects of good vs evil is in Star Wars, particularly the way the video games handled it. If you went down the 'evil' path they made you uglier and your skin distorted and you went crazy, and if you took the good path you had a glow and cleanliness to you that was incredibly heavy handed."

That is really interesting. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of beautiful people out there that are ugly on the inside and vice versa!
—Neil Gaiman
Tmn126
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmn126.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tmn126 »

I think it depends on the mood of the reader, too. If I'm stressed or have been busy or just need a pick-me-up, then give me a typical, black and white, good vs evil book where good is victorious. However, if I've got some time on my hands (a rainy weekend or a stay cation for example), then I want something that makes me think. Sometimes the lines between good and evil are blurred, and sometimes they're not even the same from one individual to the next. Exploring these situations can make for a great read if you've got the time and the willingness to confront such issues.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Zachary92
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zachary92 »

I honestly don't know. I think there are good things in the world, and evil things, but I don't know if this is something that just happens or if it really exists outside of a basic concept.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

I believe that good will always win. We should not let evil win to this world.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Moniquejm wrote:I believe that good will always win. We should not let evil win to this world.
Evil is pervasive, though, and we have a hard time of keeping it at bay since it seems to be innate to everyone.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Moniquejm wrote:I believe that good will always win. We should not let evil win to this world.
I think good will win in the very end. Until then, I think evil will run rampant and often win in the small picture.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:
I think good will win in the very end. Until then, I think evil will run rampant and often win in the small picture.
Evil certainly does seem to run rampant at times...

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”