Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What feelings did it leave you with? *spoilers*

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

What feelings did it leave you with? *spoilers*

Post Number:#1 by Gravy
» 03 Mar 2017, 01:10

Though I will do my best not to spoil anything, there is a chance for spoilers.

I had a strange feeling of hope when I finished this book, and I wondered if anyone else had the same thing, or perhaps other feelings about it?
So what feeling did it leave you with?
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Long Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 853 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: What feelings did it leave you with? *spoilers*

Post Number:#2 by ashley_claire
» 03 Mar 2017, 18:34

Definitely a feeling of hope. What I read into it was that one group of survivors were able to work together to get things up and running at least enough to have electricity. It gives hope that they will be able to get some modern inventions back online to make life easier.
ashley_claire

Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading: Atonement
Bookshelf Size: 108 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#3 by Lulubelle
» 09 Mar 2017, 12:44

An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.
Lulubelle

Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by Shelle
» 10 Mar 2017, 11:30

Lulubelle wrote:An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.

I was thinking about that too. What skills and experiences do I have that would be helpful? How would I contribute? How could I be used in such a situation?

I also had a feeling of hope at the end. From the distant city with lights, to Javeen's contentment in his new life, it was all very hopeful.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shelle

Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 16%

Post Number:#5 by Jennifer Allsbrook
» 11 Mar 2017, 17:15

I was glad to see that at the end of the story some aspects of "civilization" were starting to resurface. Others have commented about survival skills or the lack there of. It is interesting to think how as modern society and technology has arisen, the skills that our forefathers depended on for their survival have ultimately been lost by many people of modern society. Whether it be growing food, making clothes, hunting and gathering, building shelters, making soap, preserving meat, etc - these abilities allowed the pioneers and early settlers to be able to survive. Many of us probably would not have made it. Doomsday preppers may have a point. I was also hopeful that things were going to get better. Overall, this was an intriguing read that made you think.
Jennifer Allsbrook's Latest Review: "Arrival" by Alex Slade
Jennifer Allsbrook

Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: Thorns and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 91 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#6 by Scerakor
» 14 Mar 2017, 10:55

Much of the book's premise was on technology and how everything as they know it has been lost. Yes, hope is a good way of putting it. Much post-apocalyptic literature has no issues with leaving the reader lost and depressed on the state of the world but this book, with respect to the ending, tries to show us that human beings as a race will persevere and try to re-build no matter what; they may even succeed!
Scerakor

Currently Reading: The Long Utopia
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#7 by CarrieMe
» 22 Mar 2017, 12:09

Yes, I had that same hopeful feeling at the end. I really appreciated that about this book, because feeling hopeless the whole book is one reason I end up disliking a lot of post-apocalyptic novels.
CarrieMe

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 346 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#8 by Kitkat3
» 24 Mar 2017, 02:40

I felt some hope as well with the city that appeared to have electricity again and Jeevan's new life. It was hopeful in general that some people were just able to survive and there was still a lot of good left in the world. A common theme that I noticed was that the end was not the end. Death was "waking up from a dream" and the "end of the world" actually was not the end of the world.
Kitkat3

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Post Number:#9 by hsimone
» 24 Mar 2017, 03:31

Shelle wrote:
Lulubelle wrote:An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.

I was thinking about that too. What skills and experiences do I have that would be helpful? How would I contribute? How could I be used in such a situation?

I also had a feeling of hope at the end. From the distant city with lights, to Javeen's contentment in his new life, it was all very hopeful.

I agree on both accounts. Honestly, I don't know what skills I have that would be helpful in a situation like this. Who knows, perhaps natural instinct would take over.

A feeling a hope was also with me at the end.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 370 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#10 by jhollan2
» 24 Mar 2017, 21:32

The ending was definitely hopeful all around. I wanted more, which is always an indication for me that the book well and truly sucked me in.
jhollan2

Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#11 by The Researcher
» 27 Mar 2017, 23:02

Yes, definitely hope was the feeling that was felt in the end of the book. I was reminded of the saying "Where there is hope, there is life". I also believe since human beings once achieved so much through research and development, they can do it again.
What is the most special thing i did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 91 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 150%

Post Number:#12 by matildajay
» 28 Mar 2017, 03:18

I agree, the last few pages left me with a feeling of hope. Really uplifting with the book finishing in a tangible and metaphorical sense of lights coming back on. At the same time I felt a little empty, I guess I was expecting more of a climactic finish regarding the cult. Although at the end of the day, I don't believe a more drastic finish was necessary and the feeling of hope was a well placed end.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - C.S. Lewis
matildajay

Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading: The Tender Bar
Bookshelf Size: 291 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 99 Books
Goal Completion: 244%

Post Number:#13 by Momlovesbooks
» 28 Mar 2017, 07:06

I felt hopeful that society had a chance to survive. The ending actually left me wishing for more.
Momlovesbooks's Latest Review: "Blood of your Blood" by Reza Ali
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 202 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 32%

Post Number:#14 by KAV
» 19 Apr 2017, 18:14

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I was glad to see that at the end of the story some aspects of "civilization" were starting to resurface. Others have commented about survival skills or the lack there of. It is interesting to think how as modern society and technology has arisen, the skills that our forefathers depended on for their survival have ultimately been lost by many people of modern society. Whether it be growing food, making clothes, hunting and gathering, building shelters, making soap, preserving meat, etc - these abilities allowed the pioneers and early settlers to be able to survive. Many of us probably would not have made it. Doomsday preppers may have a point. I was also hopeful that things were going to get better. Overall, this was an intriguing read that made you think.

Like everyone else, I felt hopeful at the end of the book, even though most of the book was depressing. It really made me think about all the things that would be lost. Think about all the information on the Internet. Almost everything can be looked up to make sure we are doing it correctly.
KAV's Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
KAV

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page